Sunday, December 4, 2016

Sunday Update - Week 48

Wow.  The year's almost over.  Where did 2016 go?  Never mind.  Don't answer that.

Okay, so last week...

Last Sunday I did indeed finish the first draft of Natural Causes.  It ended up just under 60K words.  Not quite sure I like the ending.  I left a couple things hanging because I was thinking of the next book, but I don't want this to be that kind of series.  I want everything wrapped up.  And if there is a next book, it will be its own book - not a continuation of something from this book.  The only thing about this book leftover from Accidental Death are people.  And a little of how those people are dealing with the events of AD.  Fixing NC won't be that hard.  I can do this.  Thank goodness for edits.

I did a little work on Fear Itself.  Very little.  I think I got like 10 pages edited.  I need to get the rest of the world out of my head or this thing will never get publishable.

I also read through Wish Hits the Fan (OUAD #4) and when I reached the end of what I'd already written, I realized I have no idea where I was planning to go next.  I have the beginning.  I have the near the end part.  The path from here to there?  No clue.  I've been trying to think about it while I'm out driving, but I haven't come up with anything yet.

In reading news, I finished Silver James' Rescue Moon.  Freakin' awesome.  Really, if you aren't reading her Moonstruck books, you're missing out.  And while this isn't officially a Moonstruck book, it has all the elements of her Wolves, so it's the unofficial Moonstruck book.  Also, I started a book I'd received through a Goodreads contest.  I'd loved all the author's other books, so I was totally jazzed.  And then I was totally disappointed.  Instead of being a fun read like her others, it felt like I was being schooled in the horrors of a cause.  One of my previously favorite authors did this with a new series years ago and it soured me on all her other books, which totally sucked.  I'm not a fan of fiction that stuffs a cause down my throat.  Oddly, this author and that author turned me off with the same cause.  And it's not even a cause I disagree with.  I just don't like being preached to in my fiction.  I don't even care if there's a message woven into the fiction, as long as the story isn't all about the message.  Know what I mean?

Okay, enough of that rant.  I dropped that book and picked up Thomas Harris' The Red Dragon.  So far, so good.

As always, I went fishing.  If you want news about that, see the Fishing Report.  Aside from the fishing report, though, let me just say that I spent yesterday morning freezing my ass off and getting freaked out by some apparent Deliverance wannabes. After I moved to a less-windy, less-scary locale, I was more comfortable, but I didn't catch anything.

I put up my Christmas tree last Monday.  I went minimal on the ornaments this year and didn't splash too many other decorations around.  It's pretty without being a pain to take down after New Year's.  Got a start on my Christmas cards and my Christmas shopping.  I'll finish up the cards today and the rest of my 'out of state' shopping. 

That's it for me.  What was up in your world last week?

2 comments:

  1. Deadlines. Edits. Revisions. Yada yada. I did get the minimum lights up outside. Tree was left up from last year. I haven't even started on the inside. I should do that soon.

    I spent the bulk of today dealing with admin stuffs for a group I'm an officer in and then an on-line board meeting. No edits so far today. Not sure there will be. My brain is official fired. And fried. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for Natural Causes! I know you'll figure out WHTF when you've pondered over it a while.

    Christmas tree? What's that? ;-)

    I avoid cause fiction and authors, too. I hated being preached at. Lalala, I'm not listening, even when I agree!

    I'm working on the last chapter of 5C. Hooray! Except... while I'm having a good time outlining it, I can't seem to settle in and write it. I'll go offline and concentrate in a minute.
    Sadly, it's rather too long. I hate chopping stuff, so I may not, other than wiggle words. :-)

    Oh, I found a new verbal tic in this book. "So." So big. So sorry. X happened so he had to Y. When the last chapter stalled, I went through and zapped half the "so"s as unneeded, and changed others to terribly, incredibly, ... And chopped some sentences in half.
    Now I just need to watch out for "just." Oh, oh!

    ReplyDelete