Monday, September 21, 2026

Librarian No More

I received an email from Goodreads this week that my librarian status has been rescinded. (Which was weird because we were just talking about whether I was still a librarian and the next day, POOF, I wasn't.) Apparently, they're going through their librarians and weeding people out.  And I can't reapply because authors and publishers are no longer allowed to be librarians.  If we need help, we need to contact the librarian community.  

Okay, so I haven't been really active on Goodreads this year - or the years before that, come to think of it.  I get it, really I do.  It's kind of a bummer, but it is what it is.  

I was a little surprised to see that authors and publishers are no longer allowed to be librarians.  One would think that those were the most skilled at being librarians, so... :shrug:

I think that ever since Goodreads was taken over by Amazon, it hasn't been as good a tool as it used to be.  I know people seem to be reviewing books less there, like they're reviewing less on Amazon.  Maybe that's just a correlation that has no basis in fact, or maybe it's causation.  I don't really know.  

Anyway, to those I've helped in the past, sorry.  I can't help you anymore.  Hell, I'm not even sure I can help myself.  Time will tell whether it let's me do all the things with my own books that I used to, or if I'll have to bother someone else to do it for me.  That would suck.

1 comment:

  1. Well, that's a bummer. I'm not real thrilled with GR either. They've changed up ;the mechanics of the website and it's a pain to leave a review now.

    As for reviews, I think people just aren't leaving them as much unless it's some big-name author that has a huge and loyal following. I'm not one of those. Still, I drop my reviews on GR and sometimes on the 'Zon (for new reads) and Audible infrequently. Mainly, GR is good for keeping track of my books. Not MY books--that I wrote, but the books I own and/or read/listen to.

    Anyway. Hope I don't have any issues. You were handy. LOL

    Later, tater.

    ReplyDelete