Saturday, August 27, 2022

Saturday Reading Wrap-up - 8/27/22

Well hello there.  It's morning.  I woke up tired.  And I forgot to schedule this post, so bear with me.

I got two new books this week.  I didn't mean to get two.  I finished a book last night and went to go buy its sequel. Once clicked that sucker like my ass was on fire and it was water.  And then I noticed I hadn't bought the second book.  I'd clicked the third.  Soooo, I went back and bought the second book, like I had originally planned.  (And no, I'm not returning the 3rd book.  I don't return books.)  Here's hoping these are as awesome as the first one was.  Speaking of which...

Books Read:

45) Sorcerer Rising (Virgil McDane #1) by E. Nathan Sisk (8/26/22) - UF Noir*# - 5 stars.  New to me and underappreciated.  Free off the ENT newsletter.  (Last night, when I bought the others, this was only 99c.)
Review: "Now, that was a frickin' awesome read. It was nowhere near what I thought it was going to be when I downloaded it. It defies any attempt to pigeonhole it into a genre. And I loved it. Any preconceptions you might have... this is going to blow them all to tiny bits of dust. Much the way Virgil tackles his ultimate nemesis. Which, by the way, was incredibly satisfying. I miss Tiffany. I wish the best for Sarah. I want Conrad to thrive. Most of all, I want to see Virgil continuing to kick ass through many subsequent novels.

And yeah, it took me a week to read. It's a big book with lots of intricate stuff going on in there, but none of it is a slog. It's action packed and you'll find yourself staying up later than you ought to, sneaking in time to read when you should be doing something else, and still having it take a while to read. It's worth it. Dive on in. Now I have to go slap my money down for the next book."

No DNFs.

Currently reading... Nothing yet.  I won't be diving into book 2 of the above yet.  I don't like to read a series straight through.  I'll cleanse my palate with something else first and go into #2 fresh.

What was on your reading plate last week?

1 comment:

  1. LOL That's the whole reason I do marathon rereads/listens to series when a new book comes out. I WANT to dive right into the next. Different strokes and all that. Okay, diving in for last week... I'm at 106 books on the year, 9 ahead of schedule. Technicall, I haven't finished 106 yet but I only have 33 minutes left and I will finish once I post this. So here's my list of the 6 books I devoured this week:

    106 - Sapphire Flames (Hidden Legacy, #4), Ilona Adnrews, UF/Romance/Alternate History - 5 stars. Fav authors and series, relisten. Magic rules the world thanks to the Osiris Serum, developed in 1800s that enhances or gives magic to people. World now ruled by magic "Houses." Fascinating worldbuilding and charactewrs. This book rolls over to the next oldest Baylor sister, Catalina, a siren who is now head of House Baylor.

    105 - Diamond Fire (Hidden Legacy, #3.5) Ilona Adnrews, UF/Romance/Alternate History - 5 stars. Fav authors and series, relisten. This one covers Nevada and Rogan's wedding with Catalina as the MC (in prep for her trilogy), with ugly family, a plot to kill, and the theft of a family heirloom. Not much romance but lots of action and Catalina begins to emerge into her "butterfly" form.

    104 - Wildfire (Hidden Legacy, #3) Ilona Adnrews, UF/Romance/Alternate History - 5 stars. Fav authors and series, relisten. Whoa! SOOOO much going on but a totally satisfying end to Nevada and Rogan's journey and plot arc. There's enough mayhem to go around for the next set.

    103 - White Hot (Hidden Legacy, #2) Ilona Adnrews, UF/Romance/Alternate History - 5 stars. Fav authors and series, relisten. Nevada and Rogan are still at odds as much as they are together. She's trying to keep the emerging House Baylor afloat against all odd. Lots of romantic chemistry but way more action than sexy bits which is okay by me. The world the two authors created is crazy and I love it!

    102 - Burn for Me (Hidden Legacy, #1) Ilona Adnrews, UF/Romance/Alternate History - 5 stars. Fav authors and series, relisten. Lots of immpeccable worldbuilding in this first book but none of it drags on the story. It's integrated seamlessly. Houston. Magic reigns. Nevada Baylor took over the family PI business at 17 when her father developed cancer. She's a prime truth seeker but she has to hide her magic. Her mother is a former army sniper, her grandmother rebuilds tanks and other armored vehicles for the rich Houses of Houston. Nevada has two sisters: Catalina and Arabella, both have rare magic like Nevada's so all three are pretty much in hiding from magic society. There are two cousins--a computer nerd who is a whiz at patterns and a teen who thinks he's a dud because his magic hasn't manifested. When it does, watch out! They are assigned a case by the huge PI firm that holds their mortgage and leash (due to father's illness--long story, read the book). Anyway. Nevada has to bring in a rogue prime fire mage who seems intent on burning down Houston. Enter Connor "Mad" Rogan, a prime telekenetic. The sparks fly between him and Nevada. I really do love this series and can't recommend it enough to those who have eclectic reading tastes like mine.

    101 - Storm Echo (Psy-Changeling Trinity, #6; Psy-Changeling, #21) Nalinia Singh, Paranormal/Romance/SciFi, 5 stars, Fav author and series, new release. This one has lots of action, a member of the feared Mercant Family, a healer, and lost love, plus the possilble end of the world. What's not to love?

    Currently listen to (about 30 minutes from now) EMERALD BLAZE, #5 in the Hidden Legacy series. This is the second book in Catalina's series. RUBY FEVER, the 3rd book in her trilogy, just released this week so yay! Hence the marathon relisten.

    Happy reading all!

    ReplyDelete