Tuesday, March 17, 2015

South of the Border Chicken for Busy People

I don't know about all y'all, but I really do love to cook and yet rarely have the time or energy to make an interesting meal.  When the Kid was home, I would try to do some more elaborate things - stuff chicken breasts, homemade wet burritos, from-scratch spaghetti sauce.  I baked cookies from recipes and made cakes that weren't from a box.  I even made lasagna that wasn't Stouffers. 

Now that it's just Hubs and I, not so much.  I want something I can throw in the oven or the crockpot and just go.  (Stouffers is big here now - with their bagged meals I can just whip together in one pan.) 

Still, I crave something home-freaking-made every now and again.  So, to that end, here's a quick and easy recipe that tastes like it took a lot of time, but didn't.

South of the Border Chicken

2 boneless chicken thighs
1 cup thick and chunky salsa
1 cup Mexican-blend finely shredded cheese
1 package Uncle Ben's Original 90-second rice

Preheat oven to 375F.  Place thighs flat on the bottom of a 9x13" baking pan.  (I cover it with aluminum foil first to laze-out on clean-up.)  Spread a half cup of salsa over each thigh.  Sprinkle liberally with shredded cheese.  Bake for approx. 30 minutes or until thighs are cooked through at the thickest point.  Serve over rice.

If you're not familiar with that Uncle Ben's rice, it comes precooked in a packet.  All you do is nuke it for 90 seconds and it comes out perfect every time.  I use the original, but you can use any of the flavored ones you like. 

You can also use colby-jack cheese or 'fiesta' blend.  Whatever sounds Mexican to you.

Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. Okay, this sounds really good but I'd have to use queso instead of the salsa because of that pesky tomato allergy. Must consider. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh man. A tomato allergy would seriously harsh my eating habits, Silver. I wonder if how would it taste with a mango salsa? I saw something on Pioneer Woman - I think - where she made watermelon salsa. Have to ponder the possibilities.

      Delete
  2. Sounds good. I'm weird so mango / watermelon salsa wouldn't work for me. I can't have fruit hot in a savoury dish - don't ask me why though. I mean, I'm British and I don't really like apple sauce with my pork!

    ReplyDelete