Can't say as I'll be too sad to see 2012 go. It wasn't a bad year, per se, but it wasn't a great year either. It was more of a meh year.
Looking back - literally - I found this post where I talk about my half-year goals for 2012.
1) Finish Djinn 2 - Check
2) Polish Djinnocide - Check (this check turned into a total rewrite, though)
2a) Put together submission materials so I can... - Check
2b) Send this sucker out - Check
3) Edit at least one other forgotten book (you know - one I wrote but never edited like Nano or UEQ) - Not Check
4) Edit Djinn 2 (just in case Djinnocide sells or something) - Not Check
5) Read at least as many books this year as last year (the count was 90 in 2011 - more on that tomorrow) - I'm at 89 read this year with a few days left to go, so this'll probably be a Check.
I only really missed two, so that's not a bad thing. It's just that here I sit at the end of another year, still unagented and still unpublished. Bleh.
I feel like I'm in stasis - not moving backwards, but definitely not moving forward either. And yeah, I'm so sick of listening to myself whine about it, I could spit.
"Really, Meissner?" I says to myself (because when I talk to myself I call myself by my old name) "If you want something to happen, do something. You toad."
Looking ahead at 2013, I see some things on the horizon that might make the beginning of this year interesting.
- Point 1 - which is a special surprise I can't talk about until next week or the surprise will be ruined.
- Point 2 - which I also can't talk about yet, but it's totally not writerly.
Hopefully, one of these will help shake things loose. (Although the second one is going to be a bit distracting at first, so that'll shoot my productivity in the ass. And NO, I'm not pregnant, planning to be pregnant or even remotely considering adding anyone to my tiny family. :shudder:)
As for making public plans, here's a list which will probably be like last year's craptastic list:
- Finish Sleeping Ugly (from first draft through to submission)
- Resume submitting Djinnocide.
- Edit AWJ (because all of you who stopped by and read my snippet last Sunday said so)
- Edit one other forgotten book
- Read at least 50 books (because I'll be too busy to read as much this coming year as I did last year)
Check back with me next year to see if any of the above actually got checked off.
How about you? Are you ready to see the back of 2012? Was it a good year for you? What expectations do you have for 2013?