Saturday, October 2, 2010

Weakly Update, plus a Rant

It's been one of those weeks.  I started out strong enough, but then my week went weak.  I caught a bug and Tuesday night/Wednesday was a bust.  And then I had my quarterly appointment on Thursday, which I couldn't miss, so that shot Thursday in the ass.  (I can't complain about that day too much.  I got Red Robin and some awesome books.)  Yesterday?  Well, let's just say I bought the next October Daye book on Thursday and leave it at that.  Once I start reading Seanan McGuire's books, I don't do much else.

So, that means in spite of the fact that it's Saturday (aka Hedonistic College Football Orgy Day), I have work to do and I'm intending to work most of the day.  Minus the time I have to take for mowing the lawn and the one football game I can't miss - Wisconsin @ MSU (the only one because they aren't televising Michigan here).  Although, if I'm on a roll, I might have the TV on in the background while I work.

Now, before I get to work, I'd like to pause for a mini-rant - so if you're not in the mood, scroll past. 

:begin rant:

Yesterday evening, I looked out the window just in time to see some guy whip out his little buddy and take a whiz.  In broad daylight and on this busy street.  I did what any justice-loving American would do and called the police to report the guy.  Long story short, I heard later that the officer got into a scuffle and a large crowd of unsavory fellows gathered around shouting things and making aggressive overtures to the officer.  Backup was late arriving and the poor cop was out there alone.  Only through the presence of another public minded person like myself did the officer avoid being beaten into a bloody pulp - or worse.

To all of this, I just have to say WTF.  WTF is wrong with people.  WTF is wrong with the world that one misdemeanor almost escalated to a felony.  And WTF is wrong with me that I felt guilty for doing my civic duty because my one phone call could've gotten that officer killed.  Killed over peeing in public.  For all I know that guy could have something communicable and kids play around here.  :shudder: 

Last night I spent a lot of time searching within myself.  At first, I was all like "I'll never report stuff like that again" and I felt so stupid.  But the more I thought about it, the more I realized that if I change who I am because of people like that, they win.  Of course, I'm scared that the guy and his thug friends will find out I'm the one who called.  I woke up expecting to see my car trashed.  Funny, I lived in Flint, MI and wasn't this afraid of the locals.  Now I live in a tiny town and these people scare the crap out of me.  Nice way to live. 

More and more of our world is being taken over by people like that - people who have no respect for others' property, no respect for life, and no respect for the law.  Every time a solid citizen says they aren't going to get involved and turn a blind eye, the bad people get to claim a larger chunk of the world.  At some point, we have to draw a line and say 'You've come this far, but no further'.   

:end rant:

And now that I'm all fired up and feisty, I think I'll go edit some scenes where my MC kicks some evil-doer ass.

No comments:

Post a Comment