Sunday, August 16, 2009

Sunday Book Review

I hate to sound like a broken record, but Allison Brennan nailed it again. Every book I read of hers is better than the last, and Cutting Edge is no different.

First off, she's got the key ingredients: a heroine with some past baggage, a hunky hero with his own pieces of luggage, and chemistry to burn. Add in a warped villian with an axe to grind, and you have the makings of any good romantice suspense.

But Allison's novels are so much more.

Her writing is... Well, wow. She really knows how to make her characters people I can not only sympathize with, but people I wouldn't mind having a drink with. She also knows how to let you crawl around inside her villains' heads, so you can see what's driving them, and get creeped out all the same.

I can't tell you too much about any of the characters without giving away important plots points. I'll just say that having come from a background of once being an animal rights nut and a budding eco-freako myself, she hit the villain's mindset right on the head. And because of this, I almost had to put the book down. I forged ahead, though, and I'm glad I did.

Still, the whole thing gave me shivers.

And I love how she keeps bringing back characters from her other books. It makes me feel like I'm on the inside of this great group of people. I especially love the character Hans Vigo. He's a profiler, and he's so damn intriguing, I almost wish he could have his own book. (Except he's not a main character type guy.) If I remember correctly, Allison once said something about almost killing Hans off, but too many people love him. I think I would've been seriously bummed if anything like that happened to Hans. I think I have a little secret reader-crush on the man.

Next up for Allison is a series of paranormals based on the seven deadly sins being manifested as demons. I can't wait to see how she works it. (Especially Pride, which I don't think of as a sin. Hubris maybe, but not Pride... Soapbox moment. Sorry.)

If you're in the market for a good romance with lots of heat mixed with a suspense that will keep you on the edge of your seat, pick up a copy of Cutting Edge. I got mine at Barnes and Noble, but it should be available from any of your favorite booksellers.

As always, I'll be impatiently waiting for whatever Allison publishes next.

No comments:

Post a Comment