Thursday, May 14, 2009

Whittling Words

If you've ever written a synopsis, you know how hard they can be. Try to cram 100K words worth of story into 6-10 pages, while still keeping your voice and making it interesting. It ain't easy, lemme tell ya.

Then take your 6 page synopsis and whittle it down to 2 pages. Now there's some mental exertion for ya. Well, that's what I spent a large portion of time doing today. Snip here, slash there, and always tweak tweak tweak. Ugh. Anyway, it's done. Or at least I think it is. I'll take another look at it tomorrow to make sure it doesn't blow chunks before I send it off with a query to the one agent on my list who asks for such a short synopsis up front.

Gah.

Gotta do it if I want to win. If I have to turn my book into a friggin' haiku because it's in someone's submission requirements, I'll do it.

On the bright side, now I have it if anyone else asks for a 1-2 pager.

No wonder people call these things a sucknopsis. Sheesh.

What were you up to this fine day? Anything on the agenda for tomorrow? Personally, I'll be looking the synopsis over and then shooting off the query. Then I've got some school stuff and personal stuff before I hit the keys again tomorrow night.

Right now, I'm done hitting the keys, so I think I'll hit the sack. Nighters.

2 comments:

  1. I have to work on a series synopsis, which has all the regular synopsis fun, except you're totally making stuff up because only one of the books you're synopsizing is actually written. Yeah. Fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG, that sounds like hell on earth. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete