Saturday, May 30, 2009

Saturday's Super Site

There was a picture here but I had to delete it.You've probably heard this a million places, but it's still true: Writing is a lonely business. Finding a group of people to connect with can make it less lonely, though, and that's where this week's Super Site comes in.

I know I've blogged about MamaWriters before, but that was early on in its life. It was a great new site to visit. It's lived up to its promise. Now it has a more settled feel. Both the posts and the comments are excellent sources of information, as well as offering a little camaraderie to its visitors.

Originally I followed Roxanne St. Claire over from a post she wrote for Murder She Writes. I stayed because MamaWriters is a lovely little community of writers who also happen to be parents. (Or parents who also happen to be writers - which ever way you want to look at it. For me, it depends on the day.) Since I just happen to be one of those WriMoms - or MoWrits (sounds like Lewis Carroll, don't it?) - I thought I'd give it a looksee.

Since I started visiting, they've also been visited by Monica McCarty and Allison Brennan, but their guest bloggers are only a fraction of the value. In MamaWriters, I've found a group of people who have something in common with me. Sure, we all have different circumstances - I was a working single mom of one for 11 years, and now I'm a SAHM with a husband. I still only have the one, and she's pretty self-sufficient, but I see how the other moms do it, and I can provide my own experiences in the comments.

And for those of you who write sans kids, there are still plenty of interesting posts. It's not a 'you don't have kids, so go away' type of place. The posts about trying to write while doing everything else in your life are certainly applicable to all us writers - kids or no. Like I said, my daughter is at the point where she doesn't need - or want - me around all the time. But I still find value.

After all, that's really the point of a Saturday Super Site - finding value and sharing it with my readers.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy the site. Tell me, what are some things you look for when trying to connect with other writers? Is it genre or writing style? Or do you find a connection some other way?

No comments:

Post a Comment