Friday, May 29, 2009

Weekly Update

It's been a strange few weeks for my writing. I think I'm just trying to find my way again. (Funny how often I get lost out here in writerland.) After several failed attempts, and more than a few battles with angst, I think I'm back on track.

This week, I rewrote the beginning of EQ - and changed its name to Unequal. I really like the new direction I took it. It was veering into too YA, and the voice was coming out kind of 'like ya know'. Now it feels more like me. I'm still not sure exactly where the story is headed, but I'm enjoying the journey.

Except that after writing 2000 words of new beginning for Unequal, it got pushed aside. Fertile Ground crawled up from my subconscious and kicked me in the ass. I saw where I needed to go, and what I needed to do. From that, I got another 3000 words out, and the direction feels so much more right than before.

I also shot out a couple more queries since last Friday, and HUZZAH, I got a request for partial. Love it when that happens. Now the waiting game begins again. (Not that I wasn't still waiting on that full I sent last month, but the other partial came back as a rejection.)

Add to that the fact that I've been reading more, and the week is chock full of goodness. Here's hoping the coming week brings even more. Nano is still stacked on top of my printer, dripping red ink and waiting for me to complete the surgery to save its life. (Drama queen much?)

On the personal front, yesterday was the official last day of the school year. Monday we start eleventh grade with a fun jaunt into summer school. Since we're unsure exactly which college she's headed for, we're trying to meet the requirements of every college she's interested in - which means making sure she has the right number of credits in each subject. With two years left of school, we're on track for everything except the Social Studies and the Fine Arts. Hence this summer school term, wherein we'll be doing either a fine art or Psychology. (I'm voting for Psych, since I spent my first three semesters in college as a Psych major.) Fun fun fun.

How are things with you?

1 comment: