Saturday, March 23, 2019

Saturday Reading Wrap-Up - 3/23/19

Gah!  It's Saturday again, isn't it?  Totally forgot to finish and schedule this.  Derp.

The week got off to a slow start reading-wise.  I started Taken last Saturday, but then I didn't read it for a few days.  I finished that book Thursday morning and then inhaled a whole other book by Thursday evening.

I still have a bunch of ebooks left to read and I picked up one new book this week - a SF.  So, I'm at eleven books to read again.  Only 2 left from February, though, so I'm not doing as bad as I'd thought.

Books read:

24) All Those Lies by Emmy Ellis (3/21/19) - Suspense*# - 5 stars.  New to me and underappreciated on Amazon, if not on Goodreads.  Got this during a freebie advertised on Ereader News Today.
Review: "Wow. That was creepy and dark and disturbing. And so good. Can't say anymore without giving away spoilers, but man. This one's gonna stick with me for a while. Not for the weak of stomach or the faint of heart. Inhaled this in an afternoon - it was just that good."

23) Taken (Rune Witch #1) by Victoria DeLuis (3/21/19) - Urban Fantasy* - 4 stars.  New to me and underappreciated on Amazon, if not on Goodreads.  Got this during a freebie advertised on the Free Kindle Books FB group.
Review: "Cute with an enjoyable premise and likeable characters, but way shorter than I thought it would be."

DNFs - Nope

Currently reading: All Those Lies was so intense, I needed something lighter so I picked up an old book - Life with Father / Life with Mother by Clarence Day.  (Life with Father was made into a movie ages ago.  If you haven't seen it, it's a hoot.)

What did you read last week?  Anything good?  

1 comment:

  1. I did a couple of emergency reads for a contest. Can't mention them until like August. I did mark them to review once I can. Stuff I can mention:

    I finished the the Heroes of the Dixie Wardens MC series, but for the last book which just a few minutes ago dropped in from my library hold. I rated most of them at 3 stars. The books are somewhat problematic for me but I still enjoyed reading them. Until the next to last book in the series--the book I really wanted because I really liked the hero from his appearances in the other books. And then the damn thing went off the rails. This author is problematic for me due to her loose "intrepretation" of LEO and fire...protocols. This time, she mixed in the CIA and I was just NOPE! Which is really sad because I actually enjoyed the hell out of the story and the characters (a May-October/November pairing - she's 30, he's 54.) But the background $h!+ was just...the top of my head kept blowing off with purple glitter and smoke coming out. I had to rate it a 2 and actually left a GR review. I keep waiting for her legion of fans to come after me with pitchforks. Anyway...

    While I was waiting for the last book because...1) I'm a glutton for punishment, 2) I enjoy the darn stories and characters even while wincing at the author's perception of reality, and 3) it's the last book, I listened to a book I'd read earlier in the year but the audio version hadn't come out yet. It enjoyed CONOR (Boston Underworold #6). It's also the last book in a series I've enjoyed and have/will reread.

    I'm not listening to the Black Dagger Brotherhood series. It's paranormal/urban fantasy and was one of the biggies back in the day. there's like 20+ books now. I originally tried to read the first book, DARK LOVER, several times and never got past the middle of the book. There are still some things that bug me, but listening to the book "silences" at least one of my big issues. I'm currently listening to the second book and enjoying it too. I'll go back to this series once I finish the library book.

    And that's it for me. Oh, I'm at 77 books on the year. That puts me like 22 books ahead, even if the official challenge counter shows only 76. Must be because I double-read CONOR, and I listed two different editions and GR didn't pick that up. No biggie. I'm well on my way to my goal. :)

    Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete