I went to the local library on Wednesday. The experience wasn't good. I used to LOVE the library. It provided me with my means of escape from the world. What's not to love about that?
When we first moved here, I stopped by the library to get a library card. I needed two forms of identification and one of them had to be a utility bill to prove I was an actual resident. Since I don't generally carry around utility bills, they wouldn't let me have a card. They wouldn't take my checks as proof or my voter registration card. The first form was already my driver's license, so that didn't help. After that, every time I went to town, I'd forget the damn bill. Eventually, I gave up trying to get a library card. Years past. Recently, I tried to sign up for a card online, so I could get Hoopla.
Yay, that worked! I had Hoopla and I could use it to watch things on Roku. Yay. Then it stopped working. Why? Because my local library system which covers all but one of the local libraries here, had stopped their Hoopla contract. Hoopla had raised their rates and were now too expensive. Or so the librarian said.
Unfortunately, I have no other use for the library. I can't check out books because I only get up to that town every 90 days - when Hubs' prescriptions need refilling - which would mean I'd either get slapped with a boatload of late fees or I would need to make a special trip. Derp.
Anyway, the two gals at the library acted like I was bothering them. There was no one else at the place. I guess that could be understandable. I was talking about Hoopla and they didn't care about Hoopla. They tried to convince me to try their other services. I didn't care about their other services. It was then that I tried to find common ground. Books.
I mentioned that I was a writer and that I actually had books in their library at one point. I figured they'd try to look me up in their computers, but no. They looked at me like I was stupid. (More so the one than the other. The other was acting like I wasn't there.) I was tempted to walk back into the stacks to see if my books were still on the shelves, but the girls were giving off a whole 'get the hell out of here, so we can go back to gossiping' vibe. Finally, I gave up, shrugged, and waved. "Thanks! Have a great day."
Thinking about it all today, I remembered that for the past 13+ years, they've been trying to raise money for a new building. There's something somewhere that shows how much money they've raised toward their goal, so I know they have money. And even though that money is slated for a new building, it burns my butt that they can't keep the Hoopla because it's 'too expensive'. Who the hell is using the actual physical library? There's never anybody there when I drive by. Wouldn't their usage rates go up with Hoopla? People around here could borrow ebooks and movies, etc. It boggles the mind.
I don't expect to ever see a new building on the piece of land they already own for the new library. By the way, the new library will have a whole huge bank of computers for the locals to use. (That was one of the things they really touted up during a fundraising drive several years ago.) Computers to use, but not more space for books. Books are passe. :shrug:
Apparently, so are writers of those books. I mean, I didn't expect fanfare, but a 'hey, cool' and a 'what do you write?' would've been nice.
Anyway, that's my local library. I was unimpressed. Of course, I've been unimpressed with them for years. The librarian who was there when I donated books wasn't impressive, and she spelled my name wrong when she put my book in her 'new at the library' section of the paper. Derp.
It's all pretty sad, when you think about it. I'm a writer. I'm a reader. Libraries and I should be like peanut butter and jelly. Instead, we're like peanut butter and sardines. Then again, libraries seem to be less about books these days than about the computers and other junk. I'm an antique, I guess. And libraries as I knew them are fossils of a forgotten, happier age. =o(
You'd thing a small library would be user friendly. Obviously, yours isn't and that's sad. We all have this "vision" of librarians but I guess they're like all professions--there are good ones and sucky ones. Sounds like you got the sucky ones and that's too bad. Like you, I have fond childhood memories of my local library.
ReplyDeleteMy library system is massive. It covers parts of 4 counties, and a huge metro area. My local branch got a new building several years ago. It's very cool but I've only been inside once. I went to ebooks--and those are on-line, originally with Overdrive (and I could also send the ebooks to my Kindle), and then audio books when the eyes got bad. Now they have Libby and Hoopla. Yes, I feel lucky. I wish there was a way I could share Hoopla with you. I only get 7 monthly downloads and I don't always use them. Sorry. 😟