Tuesday, April 26, 2016

Super Fudgy Chocolate Frosting

Okay, so I had a box of yellow cake in the cupboard - a leftover from Easter when I planned to make pineapple upside-down cake and didn't.  Sunday, I got a wild hair and decided to make the cake.  But I had no frosting in the house.  The last time I made chocolate frosting, it didn't turn out so well.  This lead me to the internet where I located a yummy looking recipe for chocolate frosting.

baking cocoa
powdered sugar
butter
milk
vanilla

Easy peasy.  Right?

I knew I had all the ingredients. Would've been nice if I'd checked the amount of the ingredients before I started making the frosting.  The recipe called for 3 cups of powdered sugar.  I didn't have quite that much.  :shrug:  Powdered sugar... powdered cocoa... dry ingredient = dry ingredient in the whole scheme of things, right?

So, there I am, melting the butter in a saucepan.  I put the powdered sugar into a big bowl and began to add the cocoa powder.  Then I got the wild idea to mix the last 1/3 cup of cocoa in with the melt butter.  Cool.  I sifted together the 2 2/3 cups of powdered sugar with the 2/3 cup of cocoa powder while I waited for the butter to melt.  Then I added the 1/3 cup to the melted butter.  Then I looked at the recipe again.  Whoops.  I was supposed to add ALL the cocoa powder to the butter and THEN stir it into the powdered sugar.  :shrug:  Too late now.  I beat the melted mixture into the dry mixture until it was smooth, then I put in the vanilla and mixed that together.  Then I went to the fridge for the milk.  Whoops.  Not much milk left and Hubs does like his cereal in the morning.  But wait!  I have heavy whipping cream leftover from when I made potato soup the other day.  That'll work.

I dribbled some into the bowl and beat it in.  Added a little more, beat that in.  Added and beat until I had the consistency I thought would work for frosting a cake.  Damn and whoa, there was way more frosting than usual for a standard frosting recipe.  No matter.  I slapped it all on the 9x13" cake. 

OMG.  It was awesome.  Never have my mistakes worked out so well.

Okay, so now that you know how I put it all together, here are the measurements:

2 2/3 cups powdered sugar
1 cup baking cocoa (divided 1/3 & 2/3)
1 stick of butter
1 tsp vanilla
approx. 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream

Have fun!  And enjoy! 

4 comments:

  1. Dang, woman! You're killin' me here! LG's last blood work was borderline so we're back to no sweets. But I wantz it, wantz it bahd! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh noes. See, that's why I don't get bloodwork done. Okay, that's not the only reason. Sorry you have to lay off sweets, but that is sweet of you. If I could smuggle you one piece to eat when LG isn't in the house, I would.

      Delete
  2. Oh, that sounds soooooo good! But I have blood work happening later this week, so it won't be happening soon. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds delicious but I'm fat enough. Need to get more exercise!

    ReplyDelete