Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Things You Probably Don't Know About Me

Just 'cuz.

1) I collect unusual coins. That's like anything from another country. I have coins from China, Australia, Mexico, etc. I also have old coins from parts of Europe before they went to the Euro. Also, I hoard odd coins from the U.S. - like those gold dollars everyone hates.  None of them are worth very much, but they amuse me.  I've been doing this since HS and started with an old coin I found in the dirt while I was looking for fossils out behind the house. Most of the identifying marks are worn off, but I think it's from Brazil.  How it ended up where it ended up has always been a source of mystery to me.

1a) I also collect fossils and other interesting rocks.

2) I don't like George Clooney.  I never thought he was attractive. I don't think he's funny or talented or witty.  I do think he's kind of a pompous ass and I wonder sometimes if Rosemary is turning in her grave over some of his antics.

3) I do this unconscious thing where I adopt the accent of the person I'm talking to.  It's a family trait.  Dad did it, too.  Since I can do this, it makes it really easy for me to mimic those accents for my own amusement and the amusement of others.  I used to be able to send the Kid into gales of laughter with my 'little old Jewish woman' shtick. On the other hand, it makes it really inconvenient - especially around here where loads of people have an Ozarks accent - when I start out talking like myself and then end up sounding like I'm making fun of the other person.  I'm not.  I just can't help myself. 

4) I have always loved Jimmy Durante.  Just thinking about him makes me smile.  If you don't know who that is, I feel sad for you.

5) My favorite gem is Emerald, my favorite color is green, and my favorite season is Spring.  Sensing a theme there?

That's about it for now.  What don't I know about you?

4 comments:

  1. Those are some pretty cool facts about you. We have a lot in common. :)

    Hubby collects coins in our family, but I collect rocks and fossils.

    re: accents
    I've heard of people who can mimic accents in conversation. Out of curiosity, do you like the people (or the topic) when this happens or is it with everyone?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know me pretty well, but here goes:

    1. I've been known to pick up an accent or two.

    2. I didn't start drinking coffee until I was almost 30. Now it's its own food group.

    3. My favorite gems are turquoise, lapis lazuli, and aquamarine. Yup, sensing a theme there.

    4. I don't go barefooted. Ever. Well, except in the shower. Even when I get up in the middle of the night, I put on flipflops to walk the six steps to the bathroom.

    5. I eat cereal out of the box, no bowl, spoon, or milk required.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting re the accents. I grew up a military brat and never really had an accent until I was 10 and we finally settled in Yorkshire. I learned pretty quickly that being different in school was not a good thing and picked up the accent fast. Used it in school and with friends, but Mum was strict at home. Now I do the same as you, I pick up on the accent of the person I'm talking to and it can be embarrassing, but what can you do?

    I'm terrified, and I mean terrified, of wasps. Nasty creatures that serve no purpose except to get me. It's got so bad I don't spend time outdoors unless I have to, and if I so much as hear a buzz in my flat, my can of Raid is out and I'm ready to fire.

    Red is my favourite colour, so many hues and all gorgeous.

    I love visiting historical buildings and have an endless fascination with what life would have been like way back when. I have a lowering suspicion I would have been the scullery maid and not the Duchess though.

    I did one of those quizzy type things online one day and turned out I'm what they call a visual mathematician so I see patterns. Just as well because I'm crap at maths. Could explain why I love jigsaw puzzles.

    Oh, and I'm a Star Trek fan - even have the comm badge as a tattoo....

    ReplyDelete
  4. No tattoos (Fran, I'm totally jealous now) but I do have some interesting scars.

    I collect vintage and exotic fountain pens. I own one made out of abalone and another that opens like a lipstick. I write with all the ones that work and rotate them every week so they all get used. And I keep the prettiest ones in a display case, so that makes me obsessed, I think.

    I hate beets. Really hate beets. I won't allow them in the house, and even typing the words gives me the willies. I think it's because my cousin Arnold told me they were full of blood when I was a little girl. He also tried to convince me that spaghetti was really cooked worms, but that one didn't stick.

    ReplyDelete