Sunday, December 28, 2014

Sunday Update - Week 52

Last week was the 52nd week of 2014, and therefore, the last whole week - even though the year doesn't officially end until Wednesday night.  (So, would that make next Sunday's Update week 52.5 for 2014 and week .5 for 2015?  I'm confused.)

The 52nd week was a busy one here at Casa Sanderson. 

We bought a 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited for Hubs.  That took up the entire day on Monday, but that's cool.  We needed another car and he deserves his own set of wheels.  I tell you one thing - based on this car buying experience vs buying the Cavalier back in '03, I'm totally over buying cars from dealers.  Sure, the guy we bought this from was a talker, but that was all conversational.  No hard sell, no badgering, no hassle. 

I got the first round of edits done for Dying Embers.  It's now sitting at just over 80K words - which means even though I cleaned and tightened, I also added almost 3K by better describing certain things and chucking out a boatload of was (such an easy little throw-off word and the bane of my existence).  My editor has it now* and I should see the next round of edits by 1/15.

I touched base with my cover artist and he's hoping to get me sample covers by the new year.  Yay.  I can't wait.

On the cat front, Max is still not eating like we expect he should.  I suspect he's been in pain so long that now he's food shy.  Which for us means that basically the food has to be really awesome or he doesn't want to bother.  That left me sitting out there the other night hand feeding him bits from slices of lunchmeat turkey.  And now Kira has decided she doesn't like her kibbles anymore. Oh, she'll still eat canned food (Fancy Feast - pate varieties only, and no tuna unless it's people tuna).  I mean it's not like she can't stand to go without a few meals, but it's a pain in the butt.  Personally, I think the two of them had a late night conversation through the garage door and decided to stage a revolt for tastier food options.

Friday I finished the trail system in the woods behind the house.  I wish I could draw a diagram to show you, but how the land looks while I'm out there doesn't seem to translate well into how it looks from a satellite.  :shrug:  Suffice it to say, I have three trails going from top to bottom and three going from one side to the other as you go down the hill.  Max appreciates it - because it means he can be all jungle cat without having to put his precious paws in fallen leaves.  (He hates stepping on leaves unless he's picking out a spot to do his business.) 

I also continued the task of sawing through the fallen tree.  It's delimbed now to the point where we'll be able to roll it off the trail.  That last big limb was a killer, and I paid for sawing through it.  Man, that stuff will give your shoulders a workout.  Lemme tell ya.  Aleve was my friend yesterday.

How are things in your world?


5 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your new Jeep! I'm not fond of car salesmen either, and I used to work at a dealership. They're not bad people, but they're always under pressure to sell more, more, more.

    Yay for all your work on Dying Embers! It's getting so close to entering the world. :-)

    Poor Max. But I'm not letting my cat talk to yours. I'm not up to dealing with a food boycott.

    I'm still working on IC. I wrote two short chapters this week, and I'm finally past the most painful chapter. I'm stuck on a new transition chapter, to clean up and clear up the changes I've made to the plot, but I've got ideas for it. It still needs something to HAPPEN, though. A conversation in a sickroom seems pretty flat. Hmm. Maybe I'll have an earthquake. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Busy week! You accomplished a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did all that in one week? I feel like such a slacker now. But to be fair, I didn't get home until Monday evening and then there was Christmas to get ready for and then just Christmas and yeah, I have excuses for everything! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Poor Max. I guess his recovery is going to take a little longer.

    Re: If you're trying to judge your land by Google satellite maps, give it some time. They tend to do updates only 2 or 3 times a year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're making me feel incredibly lazy (although I am presently in t-minus 12 hours to a surprise party I'm hosting for about twenty people, so my gears are about to shift into lightspeed.)

    Our senior citizen kitty is going blind, so I have been hand-feeding him a lot, mostly to comfort him -- and I think he knows this and that's why he won't eat unless I'm there (extra cuddles). Hope your pal feels better soon.



    ReplyDelete