Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Nothing Fancy Chicken Salad

I just finished making chicken salad.  It's my go-to recipe and it's perfect for when it's too hot to think about cooking.  But it's nothing fancy...

Remember, a lot of my recipes are 'to taste', so feel free to play with the ingredients.  Find something YOU like - just make sure you write it down.  (I can't tell you how many dishes I've thrown together that I loved but can't remember what I did when the meal was over.)

Chicken Salad

2 cans white meat chicken chunks (drained)
1/2 can sliced black olives
1/4 diced large onion (about 2 T)
1 - 1 1/2 celery stacks - sliced thin
Salad dressing
salt
pepper
tarragon

Dump the cans of chicken into a large bowl and use a fork to get the chunks broken down a bit.  Add the olives, onion and celery.  Squirt or spoon - I use squirtable salad dressing - about a 1/2 to 3/4 cup of salad dressing (or mayo depending on your tastes) and add a dash or two of tarragon into the bowl.  Stir until combined.  Taste test.  Add more salad dressing and tarragon, along with a little salt and pepper, until the chicken salad has the taste you enjoy.  Let it sit for at least an hour so the flavors can meld.

I use dried chopped tarragon and cheap salad dressing, but you can use whatever blows your skirt up.  This time around the chicken was Tyson, because they had a two-can pack on sale.  And I'm using Lindsay olives.  I also used Vidalia onion this time.  They're in season and they're so awesome. 

Later, I'll put the chicken salad on a tortilla with a slice of lettuce, maybe pickles or sliced grape tomatoes, and some cheese, and make a wrap.  Hubs will probably use sourdough and make a regular sandwich.  Or you can eat it right out of the bowl.

3 comments:

  1. Maggie from the Hitwman books would love this recipe because of the olives!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I put olives in a lot of things, JB. Mostly the black kind but sometimes green. And I just discovered Lindsay COLOSSAL olives. OMG. Yummers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not a big chicken salad lover, but I love black olives. They have such a strong flavor, I prefer to eat them all alone. Although, I have been known to put them in my tossed salad if they're available. My husband isn't a fan, so I don't keep them on hand - like I need to be eating them all.

    ReplyDelete