Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Warning: Climax Ahead

Sorry about the silence yesterday, but the day got away from me, and by the time I had time to write anything, I needed to get words out on my WIP.  When it's a choice between blogging and the WIP, the blog has to lose.

In all honesty, I almost didn't reach my daily goal yesterday.  After all, it was Tuesday - aka Biggest Loser day.  By the time 9 o'clock rolled around, I was beat.  Bed was calling its siren song of sleep.  My muse was telling me to bugger off.  But since I'm already behind on my wordcount, I can't afford to take a day off.  I kicked myself mentally and dragged my buns over here.

Good thing, too.  Last night was an amazing writing sprint.  Jo was up against the wall, and in the face of certain doom, she pulled through.  Of course, this last scene was not without its own problems.  Looking back, everything happened too fast and some of it seems a little contrived.  :shrug:  I can fix that.

Another thing that happened, that I totally didn't expect, was I'm creeping into the climax.  I sat down thinking I was just going to write another piece of the puzzle and before I knew what was happening, things started to snowball.  Everything in the story is leading up to the next few scenes, and once those are finished, the only thing left is the denouement - during which I will set up the story for the next book in the series (if I'm lucky enough to score a contract, that is) and wrap up the loose ends.  Another 10-15K and this puppy will be in the can.  (It's a big climax, what can I say?)

If I write this the way I'm expecting, I'll finish up with a 70-75K first draft and a finished product around 80-85K.  Typical for me.  Once again, I have a lot of scenes that are mostly dialogue that need description, and I have a couple chunks that I need to rewrite, and I'm pretty sure I have some background that needs filling in.  It's all good. 

Wish me luck.

 *All images deleted to avoid any chance of copyright infringement* - It was of the freeway sign for the offramp to Climax, MI.

2 comments:

  1. I'm within 5k - 8k of finishing my first draft of this book, so I'm right there with you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. NO! Blog first! -pouts-

    Kidding!

    Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete