Thursday, November 5, 2009

Sometimes Something Has to Slip

Heh.  I was zooming along yesterday, cranking out words and trying to live life, etc, when finally something slipped.

When I left you yesterday, my pork roast was in the oven while I got another few hundred words out.  Finally, the time came to pause writing and make the rest of dinner - mashed potatoes and gravy to go with the roast.  I admit, I was cutting it close, but I had it under control.  Instant potatoes and packaged gravy mix would do the trick.  No problem...  Except I didn't have any of those awesome packets of mashed potatoes (Hungry Jack does an awesome instant potato, btw), which only take 4 minutes in the microwave... perfect because I only had like five minutes before the roast was toast.  I also discovered I didn't have any pork gravy in the house.  Two things I always keep around except when my mind is on other stuff - like writing. 

So, for dinner last night, my family got cool pork roast and 'baked' potatoes from the microwave with half-burnt mushroom/beef gravy.  Hubby was kind and said it was good.  I only finished half my plate and tossed the rest.  Daughter cleaned her plate, but she didn't tell me what a good meal it was like she usually does.  =o(

On the bright side, though, I wrote my 1667 for the day, made up for the words I missed the day before and tacked on a few for padding in case I slip on another day. 

I'd like to be able to write a lot of words and still make an awesome, homecooked meal.  I'd also like to be able to write and keep a tidy house, or write and get the exercise I need, or write and read a ton of awesome books.  Sooner or later, though, something has to slip.  And in November, a lot of somethings are getting left behind. 

Lucky for me, my family is being understanding about it all.  Maybe today when I take a break, I'll bake them all some pumpkin bread.

When you're in the writing zone, what are the things that slip for you?  Or are you capable of juggling everything and getting the words out, too?  What's your secret?

3 comments:

  1. Usually showering falls by the wayside. Sad but true.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh, I hear you on that. Speaking of which, I need to take one right now before the family starts to complain. ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL! I'm sorry about dinner. I'm sure everyone understands.

    ReplyDelete