Saturday, July 6, 2019

Saturday Reading Wrap-up - 7/6/19

Good thing I schedule these ahead of time, because with the holiday, my days are totally messed up this week.

I'm sitting at 5 unread ebooks right now - Historical mystery, MG fantasy, UF, suspense, mystery.  No new ebooks this week.  And no new hardcopies either. 

Books read:

 63) Tentacles and Teeth by Ariele Sieling (7/4/19) - YA Post-apocalyptic F*# - 5 stars.  New to me and underappreciated.  Found this as a freebie through ENT.
Review: " I'm not quite sure how to categorize this book - YA paranormal dystopian? Post apocalyptic fantasy? New adult adventure with monsters? :shrug: Whatever you call it, it's good stuff. The author has certainly created a new world out of our old one, filled with unimaginable horrors ready to kill any human at a moment's notice. She's also created a group of wonderful characters and a main character I could really get behind. After the end of the book, she said the next one's coming soon. I'll be keeping an eye out for it."

62) The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett (7/1/19) - Literature - 5 stars.  Not new and not underappreciated.  Picked it up for 50c at the thrift store.
I vaguely remember reading some of this to the Kid, but I think she finished reading it on her own because I didn't remember the end.
No review.

61) Hostile Witness by Rebecca Forster (6/30/19) - Courtroom Thriller* - 5 stars.  New to me, but not underappreciated.  Got this as a freebie after getting an Amazon marketing email for the second book in the series.
Review: "Wow. This is an awesome and thrilling story, fill of twists and turns, so you never quite know if the ground your standing on is solid - kind of like the heroine isn't quite sure. But she's got a job to do and she does it. I was on the edge of my seat, reading like a banshee to see who would win, who was actually the killer, and whether Josie would make it through with her life intact. I was thinking along the lines of her proverbial life, not her actual life, but I should've known better. They didn't call it a thriller for nothing. What a wild ride!"

DNFs:

7/2/19 - Mystery.  Took a chance because it sounded really interesting and I paid 99c for this one.  :shrug:  Started with a weird prologue, but I powered through.  Then I got to the actual book and the dialogue was like nails on a chalkboard. The characters kept calling each other 'babe' and they weren't talking like real people talk.  At least, I hope real people haven't started talking to each other that way.  It's been a while since I heard other couples talk to each other.

Currently reading... I grabbed a suspense paperback I'd picked up late last year.  Started reading it last night, so I didn't get that far in.  So far, so good, but I've never read this author before, so we'll see how it goes.

How did your reading week go?

1 comment:

  1. I started another series reread (two actually) because new releases dropped. One is an MC series I totally enjoy with no apologies for loving the Alpha Hotel heroes. I stopped after a couple of books because a library hold dropped. I scurried to listen to the first book as a refresher (one that I loved originally and still do!) and then glommed onto the second because there's still a waiting list. And now I'm back to the MC books. None of the books are unknown or under appreciated. By title...

    1. Reaper's Property, Joanna Wylde, 5* contemporary romance
    2. Reaper's Legacy, JW 4* ditto
    3. Devil's Game, JW 5* ditto
    4. Kill the Queen (Crown of Shards #1), Jennifer Estep 5* fantasy. Thoroughly enjoyed this book, has a bit of a cliffhanger at the end, but a satisfying read. Worldbuilding is masterful and totally kick@$$ characters. Magic, swords, and royal intrigue. And gladiators!
    5. Protect the Prince (Crown of Shards #2), JE 5* Fantasy. If this is the last book in the series, I'm totally satisfied. The hint of romance in the first book is filled out, the MC completes her emotional arc, there's more action, magic, and a gargoyle! Plus lots and lots of emotion. My heart broke a couple of times. Marked this one one of the best of the year. There's room for more stories but if there are no more books, I'll be sad, but okay with the way things ended.

    And the book I started late last night...
    6. Reaper's Stand, Joanna Wylde, contemporary romance

    ReplyDelete