Saturday, July 20, 2019

Saturday Reading Wrap-up - 7/20/19

It was an interesting reading week for me last week.  Three DNFs started the whole thing off, and meh, but then I read a really cool urban fantasy which led me to snag the sequel.  I inhaled it, too.

No new unread ebooks.  I bought that one, but like I said, I inhaled it.  So, right now, I have seven unread ebooks waiting - suspense, mystery, two urban fantasy, two paranormal mystery, and a spy thriller.

Books Read:

66) Epitaph: The Necromancer Thanotography #2 by Shane Simmons (7/18/19) - UF *#2 - 5 stars.  Not exactly new to me, since I read the first book, but definitely underappreciated.  Paid full price - $4.99.
Review:  "Gah! I should've realized this story would end up being a trilogy. And just my luck, the third book isn't out yet. I don't regret a moment of reading this, though. And I'll just wait patiently for the next book... It is out yet? How about now? Umm, what about now?

Seriously, this book delivers on the promise of the first book. Fun and snarky. I love Rip and the other characters. The premise is awesome. It's filled with twists - some you see coming and others you don't. Either way, this book is exciting and thrilling and I can't wait for the third book."

65) Necropolis: The Necromancer Thanotography #1 by Shane Simmons (7/15/19) - UF *# - 5 stars.  New to me and underappreciated in a major way.  Snagged for free off the Freebooksy newsletter.
Review: "Wow. That was the best urban fantasy I've read in a long time. Couldn't put it down for long - food, sleep, other things necessary to existence, but that was it. Inhaled it in a day. Kind of a wee bit reminiscent of Butcher's Dresden files - back at the beginning of that series - but with a style all its own. The end, though? I can't even begin to... Argh. As soon as I finished it, I scrambled to find the sequel - and paid full price for it. (If you know me, you know that means a ton.) Broke chick readin' here. Anyway, I have to know what happens. Like now. Or as soon as my Kindle recharges. (Which also means a lot since I rarely read sequels back to back.) Here's hoping the next one is as awesome as this one."

DNFs:

7/14/19 - Supposedly an MG fantasy.  Free.  So not an MG.  It starts out with a bunch of cursing on the first page and then drops an F-bomb.  It wasn't the swearing that bothered me, or even the fact that it was misrepresented as MG.  It was the fact that the swearing seemed thrown in for effect.  I hate that.  I was going to keep trudging along in hopes it got better, but once I thought about it more, I decided against it.  Life's too short.

7/13/19 - Mystery. Paid 99c.   The author dropped a huge lump of backstory in the 2nd chapter without much warning and jumped out of it without some kind of segue.  Plus, the story and the MC were irritating me.

7/13/19 - Alternate History Paranormal Mystery.  Free.  Umm... yah.  I thought it would be quirky and fun, but it was lame.

Currently reading...  After the awesome urban fantasies, it was time to cleanse my palate again, so I started reading another Agatha Christie.  (I still have three others left unread from that thrift store haul back in March.)  Once that's done, I'm going to suck down some suspense/thriller/mystery for a while, so I can write my own paranormal with a fresh mind.

What's been on your reading plate this week? 

1 comment:

  1. I started my re-listen of Suzanne Wright's interconnected series, the Phoenix Pack and the Mercury Pack. I just started the sixth book. There are two new releases, one in each series waiting at the end. Sadly, one of them doesn't have an audio version yet. This is my third time through the books, and I'm going through them again because I lose track of who's who since I read around 250 books a year. And the brain? Total Swiss cheese. I can't keep up with my own characters without a cheat sheet...er...series bible. 😜 The good news is, there are enough books left in the series that I can download them for the trip and should have plenty to listen to.

    Okay. Time for words. Later, tater.

    ReplyDelete