Monday, May 24, 2010

Series Worries

I knew when I started DLN that it was probably going to be the first book in a series.  The more I wrote, the more that word 'probably' went away.  I mean, this is such a rich world to play in.  I mean, come on... they're genies.  How could I not have multiple ideas already in the hopper?  In fact, I already have several general plot lines for the next few books.

And therein lies the rub.

I have to write this first book first.  It has to stand alone while still leaving a few threads dangling free - just in case this sucker gets picked up by an agent and then gets a contract.  (If If If)  In my first run through of DLN, I left too much out there for the subsequent stories to nibble off.  So much that the story itself wasn't doing what I needed it to do.  Stand alone.

Now I'm rewriting the whole damn thing pretty much, and I'm left wondering whether I'm walking that thin line well enough.  How much information is too much?  Am I leaving too much out?

Or am I just going through my regularly scheduled bout of self-doubt?  (aka The Bitch is Back)  I tell ya.  This writing thing can be tough.

:shrug:  Tough or not, there's still nothing I'd rather do.

 *All images deleted to avoid any chance of copyright infringement*

2 comments:

  1. I hate it when the B**ch rears her head. I don't know what to tell you except trust your instinct and remember--nothing is set in stone. There's always more room for revisions.
    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been through this same thing with the information and what's too much and what's too little. Trust your instinct as you write, then get a few good beta readers.

    ReplyDelete