Thursday, May 13, 2010

Observations on a New Computer

I know, I haven't had this baby for even 24 hours yet, but this is what I've learned so far...

  1. Even though I'm not used to it yet, Windows 7 is the bomb.  It's fairly easy to get the hang of.
  2. I really wish Microsoft would stop idiot proofing everything.  It makes things harder for those of us who know how to fiddle with computers (without breaking them).
  3. Word 2007 is freaking me out.  Everything is so weird.
  4. It's nice to only hear a soft hum coming from my computer rather than the loud hum of my old unit.
  5. There's a way around everything, if you know where to look and how to do it.  (Like the problem with my router, which isn't a problem anymore.)
  6. Outlook Express is no more, and Outlook 2007 doesn't like the old files, so my mail is currently disappeareded*.   If you've ever talked to me through my other non-gmail address, please email me using that one.  My Address Book is gone.  (Until I find a way around the glitch, that is.)
  7. I didn't mention it before, but I was having a problem where FireFox wouldn't let me comment on certain blogs.  (Which is why I was reading my blogroll every day, but you didn't know it.  I wasn't being a toad - really I wasn't.)  That problem is fixed and I can comment on everything again.  Yay.
  8. I'm not as set in my ways as I thought.  As strange and new as this whole experience is, I'm dealing with it.  
I'm still up to my ass in alligators with this thing, so I haven't gotten any writing done and I might not until I'm done tweaking.  (Or until my real version of MS Office Pro** arrives - and I'm not flying on the trial version anymore.  I hope not that long, though.)

What's up with you?

* yes, I meant to type disappeareded.
** Did you know Microsoft has special pricing available to schools and students - including homeschool programs?  Well, I didn't but I do now.  As of yesterday, Microsoft verified me as an official homeschooler and it saved me some major moolah.  (Even if I still have to wait for the program to be shipped.)  Enrolled college students get an even deeper discount, so if you're a student, check it out.

4 comments:

  1. Lmao, you're cute.

    If you need help with Word '07, let me know =)

    nataliemurphy@live.ca Just in case!

    ReplyDelete
  2. =o) Thanks, Nat. I'll figure it out. It just takes some getting used to. And thanks for the addy. I talk to you through gmail, so we're set.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the feel of a new computer! I know the feeling of being overwhelmed with it as well. Congrats on your new toy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're the second person I've heard rave about Windows 7.

    ReplyDelete