Sunday, May 16, 2010

A Little Gushing is in Order

You know how you're reading a book and suddenly it occurs to you that the author is fucking brilliant?  Well, I'm not even finished with Feed by Mira Grant, but... well... this book is just... well... WOW.  I wasn't sure what I was getting with this zombie apocalypse novel - I mean, they can really can go either way - but since I felt strongly enough to gush about this writer's other books, I thought I'd take a chance.

WOW

If Mira Grant (aka Seanan McGuire) wrote the last half as well as she wrote the first half, she's going to become my newest writer-crush.  Seriously amazing work.  You all know how much I hate spoilers, so I won't go into details.  Suffice it to say if I ever meet Ms. McGuire/Grant, I'll be sorely tempted to drop to my knees ala Wayne's World, saying 'I'm not worthy'.

I mean, holy shit.

It's that good. The story is smart and funny and poignant and if it wasn't a total sacrilege, I'd pull all the pages out, just to roll around in them.  (Better writing through osmosis, doncha know.)

Of course, if she fails me in the last half, I will deny ever saying how awesome she is.  Denial ain't just a river in Egypt, folks, and I can wallow in its waters with the best of them.  ;o)  Wish me luck and if you've already read it, don't mention a word about the ending or I may have to hunt you down. 

I'm jus' sayin'.

Now, I'm off to write.  Let's just say I'm inspired to reach greater story heights.  Later days.

5/17/10 8:49pm: She didn't fail.  It wasn't how I wanted everything to work out, but she definitely didn't fail.

1 comment: