Saturday, May 15, 2010

A Little Review or Two

Over at Paperback Writer this morning she posted little reviews for three books she just finished reading and then asked what for what her readers were reading.  I thought rather than re-invent the comment, I'd just copy and paste what I said here:  "Last night I finished Faerie Fate by Silver James.  It's a historical romance mixed with time travel and fae.  A modern-day woman who's life is filled with physical pain gets pulled out of her 50-yr old body and sent back to the body of a 25-yr old girl in medieval Ireland in order to fulfill a faerie covenant and find the love she was always meant to have."

I hope I got the gist of what Silver was trying to say with Faerie Fate.  (If not, I hope she stops by to correct me.)  And I hope my little mention on PBW garners her a few additional sales.  I know I'm glad I bought her book and I'd like to see her do well in the sales department.  All in all, I enjoyed her debut novel and I'm interested in what she's got on the burner for her next book. 

Anyway, I love promoting books I've read and enjoyed.  I know I didn't gush over Silver the way I gushed over Seanan McGuire, but this was a different kind of enjoyment.  A quiet sort of read instead of intense.  I don't know about you guys, but sometimes I need a break from the intensity.

In other news, I read the latest installment of the Dresden Files, and I'm still on the fence about whether or not I'm pissed at Mr. Butcher.  Sure, it's very well written - like all his books - and it kept me on the edge of my seat as usual.  It was the end I'm not sure about.  Right now, all I know is he'd better be planning another book, or I may have to hunt him down and give him a piece of my mind (or a swift kick in the pants).  You can't just end a series that way.  (And no, I haven't heard anything about this being the last book - but it sure seemed that way from the way he wrote it.)  There are still too many loose threads and I like all my threads tied up in a nice package.

I've been working my way through this series for the past few years, and I have too much time invested in Dresden for Mr. Butcher to end it this way.  If you've heard differently, please leave a note and tell me this isn't the end.  And if this is a little ploy to get me to buy his next book - it worked.  I'm not happy about it, but it definitely worked.  =op

Okay, now it's time for you to do a little promo.  What have you read lately that you think we should buy? 

::Irritating but legally necessary disclaimer: I am not affiliated in any way with Silver James or Jim Butcher.  I purchased Silver's book and I am not receiving any compensation for recommending that others do the same.  I checked Jim's book out from the library - and still no compensation.  I do not give positive reviews unless the book is worth buying - even if someone sends me a copy for free, offered to mow my lawn, bribed me with calorie-free cheesecake or told me they'd introduce me to their agent.  (Not that I'd refuse those options either.)  I simply enjoyed reading these books - even the Dresden, dammit - and I hope you do too. ::

2 comments:

  1. B.E., thank you! Word of mouth is golden for a small press or mid-list author. Recommendations and reviews at on-line sites are worth their weight in gold.

    As a writer, I'm thrilled when someone enjoys my work. I know not everyone will, which makes those who do all the more special! And yes, you got the gist of FAERIE FATE just right. :D I'm glad you enjoyed the book. My next book, FAERIE FIRE is more about reincarnation than time travel and set in the present with flashbacks to the past. The fae are still mucking about causing problems. ;)

    I'm glad you enjoyed FATE, and I hope you'll like FIRE, too. September. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely review--and SO cool how the author stopped by for a visit! Thanks for the recommendation!

    ReplyDelete