Saturday, May 8, 2010

I Got a Nikon Camera...

Look at her. Isn't she pretty?  Of course, now I have Kodachrome stuck in my head, but right now, I'm okay with that.

She's a digital point and shoot with some of the bells and whistles of a DSLR (Digital Single Lens Reflex).  I'm betting I can take some really awesome shots with this puppy.  Hell, if I can get awesome shots from the camera I currently have - even with the sun glaring off the frigging video screen thingabob - this should provide me with incredible pics. 

Sure, it's got the video screen like all the others, but it also has a viewfinder!  Can I get an Amen?  Thank ya.  I've been missing my viewfinder since my HP C200 went kaput.

And here's a quick pic of the computer that will be winging its way home on Monday...

I know it doesn't look like much here, but it is exactly what I wanted in a computer.  (Minus the floppy drive, which no one installs standard anymore.  Damn them.  I bought an external drive, though, so it's all good.) 

It's a Lenovo ThinkCentre.  IBM became Lenovo a few years ago (something about changing the name to increase marketability in other coutnries... whatevah).  It doesn't have all the bells and whistles I might've gotten for the same price with a different machine, but it has some things other machines don't - like compatability with older peripherals.  Did you know some of the newer computers don't even have LPT ports anymore?  :gasp:

What can I say, I'm old school.  I've been dreaming of an IBM machine since they first came out.  And now I'll have one.  It's like an IBM ThinkPad in a desktop/tower form.  Yay.  Especially since I've never been a huge fan of laptops.  (I know, I know... it's shocking for a writer to not want a lappy, but I am what I am.)

Oh, and this machine comes with Windows7 Professional.  From what I researched, the Win7 Home Edition doesn't like older programs - like pre-Vista applications.  But the Professional is built on the more stable XP technology, so it works with older programs.  Yay again.  Now let's see if my old DOS-based contact management software even loads on it. 

It'll still take some getting used to.  I'm running Windows 2000 Professional right now and I love it.  I wouldn't even think of switching except this operating system is so old most new things won't work with it anymore.  Stupid need to fix what ain't broken.  Don't get me started on how Microsoft has idiot-proofed its OS to the point where the software irritates the crap out of me.  I could go on for days.

Yes, I am a techno dinosaur.  But that's probably a post for another day.  Now I have to begin the process of burning all my personal stuff to CDs in preparation for the arrival of my new baby. 

Have a loverly day, everyone. 

PS.  I'm working on also getting MS Office Pro so SQUEE.  if my contact management software doesn't work, I can convert it all into Access!  I love Access.  :beam:  Happy Anniversa-Birthday to me.  The best thing about getting married the day before your birthday is the double presents.  LOL

5 comments:

  1. I LOVE my Nikon(s). I have a film (N80) and digital (D5000) and they are both amazing. You will LOVE it! They really do take amazing pictures.

    I also finally jumped on the photoshop bandwagon for photo editing... but (Assuming you don't have photoshop for your lovely new computer already), until this MONDAY the 10th, Adobe is having a big sale for their 20 yr anniversary, and Photoshop Elements (the more user friendly, less professional Photoshop that does all you really need it to) is on sale for $70... I'm getting that one and the video editing program. VERY excited. Worth looking into, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. *snickering*

    FLOPPYS?

    Ohhh boy, you aren't kidding when you say techno dinosaur ;) I don't think I've seen a computer with a floppy drive in it since elementary school! LOL!

    Is your daughter going to get her own computer for when she goes to school?

    And neato keano about the camera =) I don't know anything about cameras-- my mum has all the bells and whistles with hers, though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a Nikon CoolPix P100. I'm sure I'll love it once I figure everything out. I haven't really gotten into tweaking photos, Kristen. But I do have a neat program called ImageComposer that lets me play around with them.

    Hey, Nat. =op-- LOL
    Seriously, though, floppies are perfect for saving my books. One disk per book. Switch manuscripts? Switch disks. They can have my floppy disks when they pry them from my cold dead hand. And yeah, Daughter already has her own 'puter which she'll be taking along to school.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What cool birthday presents!

    LOL! I still have a bunch of old 5" floppies. My first book is on them. Unfortunately, I have nothing that reads them, so I had to retype it. But my mom helped, so it wasn't awful. Thanks, mom!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lmfao! You could use flash drives? ;)

    Ahh okay. I was wondering about that, because I can't imagine college without one... I think some schools even require you have a computer of your own.

    ReplyDelete