Tuesday, November 2, 2010

First Day of NaNo 2010

Well, I did it.  I carved an hour out yesterday morning, another hour in the afternoon, and I wrote for 90+ minutes last night - despite the fact that the Colts were on Monday night football and it was game 5 of the World Series.  (Giants won the series, btw.)

I did end up saving 60 words from my original attempt, which explains the difference in my two totals.  I'm loving this new path the story's taking.  I might still use some of the old path, but if I do, I promise not to add it into my NaNo totals.

Anyway, yesterday was a win.  I'm trying to get ahead in the game so if I end up taking a day off, I won't fall behind.  Last night's words netted me an extra day if I need it, or more words to squeeze into the month if I can.  So far, so good.  Keep your fingers crossed for me.

And btw, was anyone else having fits with the NaNoWriMo site?  Must have been a ton of people on it for the first day.  Since I've never done this before, I'm going to assume this was a regular first day occurrence and it'll pass as people drop out.

If I read the stats correctly, last year 165K started, but only 30K finished.  Of those, I wonder how many actually finished the book they wrote.  I know when I checked out the people in my 'home' territory - which is hours away, btw - the introductory post showed several people who reached 50K and then never did anything else with the book.  Seems like a waste, but to each his own.  Lord knows I've finished the first draft on a few books I never edited to completion, so who am I to talk?  (Of course, I feel guilty about those forgotten novels every time I think about them.  Poor lonely unfinished babies.)

Ever written a first draft only to never finish the book?  If you're participating in NaNo, do you plan to be querying it eventually or will it lounge on your hard drive never to be seen by anyone else's eyes?  No judgments here one way or the other.  Hell, every single thing we write serves a purpose - even if that purpose is only experience so we can write a better book next time.

2 comments:

  1. Yeah, the NaNo site is always slow and down and buggy, usually for the first week. Then all those 135K people who quit or whatever are off the site, and you can get in and update.

    Good job on the big wordcount!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great wordcount!

    I had loads of problems with the NaNo site yesterday. It's better today but still a little bit glitchy. I worked ahead the last two days because I have a bunch of final papers and am going to lose a week and a half of this month to them which sucks like crap but... there's not a whole lot I can do about that, I guess.

    I plan to try and get this book published after NaNo. I actually didn't even start a new book. I'm using NaNo to get myself to finish (I need just over 50,000 to finish this book).

    I'm new to the blog so hey! Can't wait to here more about your NaNo progress.

    If you want another buddy I'm MelissaWideen

    ReplyDelete