Monday, September 13, 2010

Trying to Screw my Head on Right

Tonight I watched a movie that reminded me I'd forgotten something very important.  I won't bore you with the details.  Suffice it to say, it's a powerful movie based on a powerful book, and even though the movie version shortened the speech by two minutes, it still holds the crux of the message. 

This is my work.  These are my brains.  And no one can help me determine what is right for either. 

Silly me.  I was floundering around looking for someone else to tell me whether I was doing a good job.  Looking perhaps for someone to pat me on the head and tell me I was a good puppy.  Well, that's not the way the world works.  At least, it's not the way I want my world to work.  If my work is good, I'll know it in my own heart and in my own mind.  I hope that someday an agent, a publisher and a great deal of readers agree with me.  If they don't I'll still be able to hold my work up and be proud.  Moreso because this was my work and no one else's.  (Okay, maybe an editor, but by then whatever editor I obtain and I will have entered into a business arrangement to get my book sold.)

I just needed a kick in the ass to remind myself of that. 

Oh, and just in case you're wondering what that 'scene cards' thing means over there by the word meter, I'll talk about that tomorrow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment