Sunday, September 5, 2010

Recipe Sunday

It's that time of year again - when people all over the country are harvesting zucchini and giving them away to unsuspecting neighbors, friends, strangers.  I got just such a humongous morsel from one of Husband's co-workers.  I've already made two batches of zucchini bread and one batch of zucchini cookies - and I still have about half of the thing left to shred.  So, in honor of this zucchini-Godzilla hybrid, I bring you a recipe of my mother's to help utilize those huge-esque squash.  I hope you enjoy.

Zucchini Bread

3 eggs
2 c sugar
1 c vegetable oil
1 tsp vanilla
2 c shredded zucchini (raw)
2 c flour
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 c shredded coconut

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Liberally grease two 8x4" bread pans.  In a large bowl, beat eggs until light and fluffy.  Beat in sugar and oil until thick.  Fold in zucchini.  In a separate bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon.  Add dry ingredients to wet mixture.  Add coconut and mix well.  Pour batter into pans.  Bake for one hour.  Allow to cool slightly before trying to remove from pans onto cooling rack.  (It has a tendency to stick, which is why the liberal greasing.)  Slice and serve.

I could eat this all day, but it's not exactly diet-friendly.  What I've been doing is giving most of the loaves away, and what stays here gets cut into small slices.  Four down... four more to bake.  Who wants zucchini bread?  ;o)

No comments:

Post a Comment