Sunday, December 1, 2013

Post NaNo Roundup

You may have noticed from my widgety thing over on the left, that I 'won' NaNo.  I hit the 50K mark yesterday afternoon, and then for the site verification, I just did the whole book - including the 1541 I wrote before November first. 

Frankly, it was anti-climactic.  In the past, I've dawdled and dragged my feet.  I've had days and days where I was behind, always struggling to catch up, until finally in the last few days I typed like a madwoman to reach the goal.  This year, I did have a few days off, but for the most part I was the tortoise.  "Slow and steady wins the race."

:yawn:

Sure, it's good practice to get you where you're meeting a goal of writing every day.  And it's a lot less stressful.  But stress is what makes life interesting.  Will I make it?  Will I fail?  OMGOMGOMG

I'd rather be the rabbit and get the excitement... but still win like the tortoise.  :shrug:

Anyway, I figure this book still has anywhere from 30-50K left to write on it before it's a first draft, so tomorrow I'll be starting HoHoWriMo - with the goal of having this sucker all the way to THE END by the end of the year.  Shouldn't be a problem.  I just need to maintain my motivation.

What about you?  Did you accomplish your goals for November?  If not, will you still be trying to complete them this month instead? 

6 comments:

  1. Congratulations, B.E.!!! Whether a tortoise or a hare, the goal is to get it done, right? And I know you'll keep up the momentum in December (I'll be watching)!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Janet! Yeah, that exactly right. And I'll be expecting you to kick me in the butt if I get slouchy.

      Delete
  2. My goal is 5000 words a week, which is aggressive for me, considering the demands on my time (full time job, homeschooling math at night, helping disabled daughter with basic hygiene), So I was quite pleased to add 15,000 words to my manuscript (at least--I wasn't really keeping track) over the past month. Certainly 25000 words since sometime in October.

    I estimate this novel to be 100K, so I hope to finish this draft in January. I am doing considerable editing as I write (I always start a writing session by rereading and editing the last scene I wrote), so it should be in a good state of polish, but by no means final.

    Congrats on your own progress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can do it, Tia! Even with all you have on your plate. Hurray for you for even adding 15K! I'll be rooting for you. =o)

      Delete
  3. I think I'm slower than the tortoise! I had no goals for November. I have no goals, period. How sad is that?

    Congrats on winning NaNo. I think it's the stress of NaNo that keeps me away. I had enough stress in my previous jobs; I don't want to have it in my writing. At least, not yet. Haha! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations!

    November was a bust for me. Everything seemed to happen at once and I struggled to keep up. I'm hoping December will be better =)

    ReplyDelete