Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Time Blurs

I can't believe it's Wednesday.  Where did Monday and Tuesday go?  Seriously.  What did I do with those two days?? 

I remember knocking some things off my to-do list Monday morning.  I spent yesterday morning shoveling the three inches of snow we got - that was gone by late afternoon.  Most of yesterday afternoon was spent having a Serious Discussion with Daughter about life, the universe and everything.  Other than that?  Nada. 

The old cliche is that time flies when you're having fun.  I think time blurs when you're doing nothing.

So, I woke up this morning, opened my browser and saw that the last time I posted was Sunday.  Which is where the general thought of 'where did Monday and Tuesday go' came from. 

Maybe it's because I haven't slept for shit in the past few days.  I'd blame the cat, but I suspect the only reason she jumps on the bed is because she hears me tossing and turning.  In her head, it's like "Mom's already awake, so why can't she pet me?"  The only upshot (depending on your perspective to insomnia) is that my brain turns to writing.  As I lay trying desperately to fall asleep, my brain went into work mode, and reminded me that there's this suspense novel I started that I never finished.

Just before the Serious Discussion (SD) yesterday, I turned off the TV to do some serious work on that unfinished manuscript.  I opened the file and read through the first couple scenes.  They are awe-some.  Then, of course, the minor incident occurred and the SD followed.  (Teenagers.  Can't live with 'em, can't sell 'em on e-Bay.)  And nothing else got done until dinner, which blurred into Biggest Loser.  By the time I got back to the computer, I was too tired to do anything.

Anyway, sorry for the disappearing act.  I'll try to do better.  I had intended for Monday to be the first day of a new attitude.  Instead it turned out to be another day of more of the same.  Tuesday blurred past along with Monday.  TODAY.  Today will be the first day of the rest of my life - not the next day in a long shuffle of days.

How's life treating you?

5 comments:

  1. It's so easy for time to disappear (says a mom who spent a whole day trying to deal with "Mom, I need a black skirt by tomorrow" with her 15-year-old). I'm getting such a good picture of the teen perspective (too bad my focus is MG).

    I try to look at each new day as being fresh with possibilities, and hopefully some of those include writing :).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've just wasted an hour trying to sort out bits on the computer. Now I have to act as taxi service to my daughter. Ah the pleasure of parenthood.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're right - time does blur. Some days I wake up and try to figure out what I did over the past week - all a blur and a whole bunch of 'same old'.

    I must say, though, that having the serious talk with the daughter was probably very important! Even if it wasn't on your To Do list :)

    My issue these days - reality TV (including The Biggest Loser).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hear you, man, time is FLYING these days. Wasn't it yesterday I was complaining that it was January, and now it's almost April!

    The older I get, the faster life goes...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shoveling snow stinks! My mom made me shovel our driveway every winter when I lived in Michigan.

    At least your scenes are awesome!

    ReplyDelete