Sunday, July 26, 2009

Sunday's Lack of Book Reviews

Short answer: I haven't finished a book since... well, whatever date it says in my 2009 Books Read list.*

Not that I haven't tried. I've picked up no less than four books over the past few weeks. The farthest I made in any of them was about a fifth of the way through Anne Rule's A Stranger Beside Me. I've also been trying to read Larry Elder's Ten Things You Can't Say in America. I still plan on finishing those.

I also started a Terry Goodkind I found at the thrift store, but silly me, it was like the fifth in a series, and I just can't get into it without knowing what happened in the previous books. I would like to read the whole series. We'll see if I can find the first at the library and work from there.

On a depressing note, I picked up a book by an author I remember loving when I was a teen. I read every one Steven Brust's Vlad Taltos series I could get my hands on back then, so when I saw one I'd never seen, I picked it up. I just can't get into this one. =o(

I've got about five other books in my TBR pile right now. I really do intend on reading them, but... And it's kind of a big but. (No ever-widening ass jokes, please.) The but of the moment is:

I can't seem to muster the urge to read anything while I'm writing this book. I pick up what other people have written and I find myself thinking about what I should be writing instead. Not a bad thing, really. I guess my subconscious is telling me to get my buns in gear.

I've read a boatload of books already this year, so it's not like I'm out of the loop. I expect my reading addiction habit will come back after a while. I can never not read for long.

Meanwhile, tell me about a book you've read recently that you would recommend. My TBB (to be bought) list is ever-growing, but I can always use a few suggestions.

*I checked. The last book read was Marco Polo on June 27th. I guess it's been longer than I thought since I read a whole book. :sigh:

2 comments:

  1. It's hard to read guilt-free esp. when your trying to write a book of your own. Sadly, I'm not sure that feeling will ever go away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have this problem a lot. When I started my first book, I was reading the last Harry Potter book and boy was that intimidating. After I finished it, I had to take a break from reading for a while and just write. I would bet there are many others out there with this affliction from time to time!

    ReplyDelete