Saturday, July 25, 2020

Saturday Reading Wrap-up - 7/25/20

Hello again!  I finally read a book again.  Woohoo!

I bought one ebook this week.  And I read it.  I also made progress in the book I'd started before the reading slump began and, ultimately, decided to DNF it.  I have two unread ebooks left - a mystery and a UF.  I really need to start scoping out other books to read.

Books Read:

56) Casket Girls by Seth Pevey (7/23/20) - Suspense* - 5 stars.  Not new to me but definitely underappreciated - especially since it's a new release.  One-clicked this after hearing from the author that it was up at Amazon and I paid full price.
Review: "Another thrilling and suspenseful addition to this series. Strong plot, awesome characters and rich scenery that make the story seem all too real, plus an intriguing mystery. What's not to love? These are one-clickers for me because I've enjoyed them all so much, and this one didn't disappoint."

DNF:

7/24/20 - UF? - free.  I  dunno.  It started out good - set in the here and now with the murder of what was potentially a supernatural creature, then it kind of went wonky and undercut its own premise, then the MC got sucked into a fantasy world.  This is the second book that did that and I've discovered I don't like it.  Make it a fantasy from the start or make it UF and leave it that way.  Blerg.

Currently reading... haven't picked a new book to read yet.  I might read one of the ebooks or go with a hardcopy.  :shrug:  Tune in next week to find out.  ;o)

What good things have you been reading lately?

2 comments:

  1. First, saw this recipe and thought I'd share since you still have zucchini: https://www.myfoodandfamily.com/recipe/212425/lemon-zucchini-bread You know, in case you're intrested. Okay. Back to books and reading. This was an okay week for me. I added 3 books to my GR challenge for a total of 117 and I'm 5 books ahead.

    Two books are repeats, WOLF WITH BENEFITS (Pride #8) and BITE ME (Pride #9) to finish off that series. Both are 4 stars, not unknown, not underappreciated. Then a special book hit my Libby app. Libby is the library app my local system uses for digital content.

    SOUTH OF THE BUTTONWOOD TREE, Heather Webber, Southern Magic Realism. Totally 5 stars and on my best books of the year list. I adored this author's release last year, MIDNIGHT AT THE BLACKBIRD CAFE. This book is set in a different small Alabama town, with all new characters. The story (and the prose it's told with) is gentle and poignant. I smiled through my tears--not because I was really sad but because the characters touched my heart that much. There's a little romance, happy endings, and the magic of moonlight on magnolias. If this type of book is someone's reading nip, I highly recommend it. Also not unknown or underappreciate.

    Currently listening to the spin-off Laurentson 3-book badger series. Badgers and bears, oh my. They make me laugh so it's all good.

    Hope you find some good books to read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the recipe, Silver! Yay for reading! And thanks!

      Delete