Saturday, July 4, 2020

Saturday Reading Wrap-up - 7/4/20

Happy Independence Day!  And welcome to another reading wrap-up.  Just a quick aside... Ain't it great to live in a country where you can read whatever you want without fear of recrimination?**

I did pick up three new ebooks - urban fantasy, cozy mystery, and mystery.  

Books Read:

55) Pixie Me Up by Willow Mason (7/2/20) - Paranormal Cozy Mystery* - 5 stars.  New to me and could be more appreciated, but not quite underappreciated.  Free off the Book Adrenaline newsletter.
Review: " So cute and fun!"

54) Hide by Lisa Gardner (6/30/20) - Suspense - 5 stars.  Neither new to me nor underappreciated.  I picked this up last year from one of the thrift stores for 17c.  It's on my keeper shelf now.
Review: "That was awesome. If you like suspense, and you haven't read this one yet, read it. I'm sorry I had never read it before now. So good."

53) Live Fae or Die Trying by Jenna Wolfhart (6/27/20) - UF* - 5 stars.  New to me but not underappreciated.  Free off the Book Barbarian newsletter.
Review: "Ooo, I really enjoyed this one. Different premise with interesting characters. A bit of romantic stuff and loads of snark, plus suspense and thrills and twists. I wasn't sure who the real villain was until the reveal at the end. Just what I like."

DNFs:

7/3/20 - Historical Mystery.  Free.  The whole beginning of the book felt like the author didn't want to waste one little bit of the research they'd done and they were going to shove every last morsel of it into the book.  It definitely needed more story and less tiny detail.  Meh.

6/27/20 - Suspense.  Free.  Meh.  I read through the prologue and part of the first chapter, but something was off about it and I didn't want to read anymore.

Currently reading...  I haven't started anything since I DNF'd that mystery.  Not sure where I'm going from here.


**Unless, of course, you get caught reading the 'wrong' book.  Then there'll be hell to pay.  =o(

2 comments:

  1. Another slow week though I did get 3 books listened to and started a 4th. Still 6 books ahead on my GR challenge so it's all good. All of them are by well-known authors and 2 are favorites of mine. A couple were relistens, one was new/old. It's been out quite awnile but I didn't realize it was out.

    107 - Howl For It: Like a Wolf with a Bone, Shelly Laurenston; Wed or Dead, Cynthia Eden. Paranormal romance. 5 + DNF = 4 stars. Loved the 1st novella, the 2nd, not so much. I gave up- on it about the 3rd chapter.

    106 - When He Was Bad: Miss Congeniality, Shelly Laurenston; Wicked Ways, Cynthia Eden. Paranormal romance. I'd not read the Laurenston novella before, though I adore the world/series it is set in. Thoroughly loved it! The Eden story was okay. I'm not that familiar with her and tend to only come across her in anthologies. The narrator was awesome, so he gets a 5. 5 + 3 + 5 = 4 stars.

    105 Purity in Death (In Death #15) JD Robb. Futuristic Cop Procedural Romance. 4 stars. Fave series, fave author.

    Currently listening: Mane Event, Shelly Laurenston. After listening to the two novellas, especially "Like a Dog With a Bone," I decided to do a marathon. Long story: The characters in "Bone" are the parents of a pivotal character in the series and she and her mate were mentioned in the epilogue, which made me want to read their book, which is #6 in the series, and since I laugh--a lot--when listening to Laurenston, I thought to myself, "Self, let's just start at the beginning!" My Self agreed. Hence, starting with Mane Event because I need some snark and laughs.

    Glad to live in the land of the free and home of the brave! Happy 4th and good reading!

    ReplyDelete