Monday, July 6, 2020

A Nearly New Computer

A short while back, I ordered a nearly new computer.  (Nearly new, as in refurbished.)  First off, I'd like to thank Newegg for another good shopping experience.  And I'd like to thank the seller on Newegg's marketplace for shooting this sucker out so fast and getting it here nearly a week ahead of the earliest delivery date they gave me.

This is my third Lenovo desktop.  I keep buying them because they're so damn good.  The first one was new, the other two were refurbished.  This one is so quiet, it's creepy.  Is it on?  Is it off?  It was particularly hard to tell before I got the monitor settings to stop sending it into sleep mode every 15 minutes.  I'd walk into the office and see the monitor off and think 'what the hell shut my computer off?' 

Anyway, I'm on the new 'puter now.  I spent most of the weekend transferring files and setting things just the way I like them.  I still have one thing to fix - my image software - and some little niggling things - like having all my go-to files show up in the 'recently opened files' section of my softwares.  And adding my words to the freakin' dictionaries again.  Writerly is too a word, dammit. 

I think I have the answer to my image software issue.  We'll see later today.  If I can't fix it, I'm going to have to teach myself GIMP or something.  Blerg. 

I'm still running Windows 7.  Yes, I know it's old.  But it's stable and I know all its ins and outs.  Also, I don't want to have to pay for a new version of MS Office to go with Windows 10.  And I sure as hell don't want to learn new software.  I hate that shit and I ain't got time for it.  If it ain't broke, don't fix it.  And Windows 7 was never broke.  Hell, I was using Windows 98 until 7 came out.  I still miss DOS for petesakes.  (Okay, only on occasion.  Windows is better than DOS, but it has limitations on what it will let me do sometimes.)

Anyway, the transition has been pretty seamless.  I was up on this computer within like 48 hrs of its arrival.  And I wrote new words last night like this wasn't a totally new and unusual computer.  (Another reason to get one exactly like my last one.)  Yay.

So, if you're like me and need a new computer but don't have the fundage for a new computer, I'd recommend a refurbished one.  This sucker cost me $160 out the door - free shipping and all.  I could've gone a little cheaper with less RAM, and gotten it for around $130.  Seriously.  Don't break the bank if you don't have to. 

And now it's time for me to start my day.  The same way I started my day with the old computer.  Yay.

1 comment:

  1. My desktop is a refurb but I paid a bit more but way less than half it's original price from TigerDirect. It's an HP all-in-one with lots of RAM and a big touchscreen monitor. I do run Windows 10 (came with the 'puter) and I got a subscription to Office 365 which allowed me to add cmputers for free so LG, Only, and BB has it, and it's on my Mac laptop, too. It comes with all the bells and whistles and updates are free. It's worth the $100 a year because...tax deductible. (If I ever make enough again that I need to itemize!)

    Anyway, yay for the new 'puter to be up and running and you being all productive on it. That's good news to start the week with! 👍

    ReplyDelete