Sunday, April 3, 2016

Sunday Update - Week 14

Welcome to your regularly scheduled Sunday Update.  On Sunday and everything. 

Okay, so I gave myself a good talking to on Wednesday over on Outside the Box.  That didn't work.  So, I bitch-slapped myself mentally during the wee hours of Saturday morning.  That seemed to do the trick and I am back on track with editing Fertile Ground.  As of last night, I have 180 pages left to edit - after I edited 50 yesterday.  If I can get through 50 pages of edits a day, I will turn this in on time.  Yeah, it sounds like a lot, but I can do this.  If I stop frittering away my time with other stuff.

I spent part of last week prepping my bathroom for painting.  Spackled holes, took down pictures, removed that ghastly and useless shelf above my window, spackled some more, bought paint and more spackle, began to think about caulking...  STOP.  My bathroom is now a shambles and will remain that way until I finish this editing pass.  I'm leaving it all right where it is so I can stare at the mess I made every time I go in there.  I believe it's irritating the crap out of Hubs - even though he hasn't said anything - but I need to do this the way I'm doing this.  The sooner I finish MY WORK, the sooner I can have a nice bathroom again.

I spent part of last week getting the spare bedroom ready to be a guestroom because the Kid might be visiting in May.  I bought a new bed, and sheets, and moved stuff so when the furniture arrives I can just put it in there.  There's some patching work that needs to be done in there, too.  I was getting ready to wash the walls... STOP.  I have 6 weeks to get that done.  I only have 7 days to finish this editing pass.  The room will be ready when she gets here, but not this week.

Hubs is refurbishing the deck.  He bought nice new boards to replace the crappy ones and painted all those yesterday.  I offered to help him paint the railings... STOP.  He knows I have work to do, so he turned me down. 

The iris beds are looking awesome.  I just thinned them last summer and they're already looking ready to thin again.  Plus, I still have bulbs in a bucket, looking for a home.  We decided to put them along the south wall of the garage.  All we have to do is dig up about a foot wide patch... STOP.  I told Hubs that was a great idea, but not this week.  (See?  I'm getting better at this.)

My daily activity routine suffered this past week.  Scattered focus will do that to a gal.  I really only exercised twice and took a walk one day.  I got back on track yesterday.  This will not be a stop because I need this.  I feel better when I do something active like dancing rather than sitting on my arse all day.

What do you have to update this week? 

7 comments:

  1. I think I would've gotten the bathroom done first. LOL. The bathroom is always my priority.

    How do you know when to divide your irises. I've moved irises but I never know when or how to divide them without hurting the parent plant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your best bet is to wait until after they've bloomed, but you can divide irises pretty much any time. They're hardy. I don't think you can hurt the parent. I've accidentally broken bulbs in half and planted both halves to have them both come back up. When we first moved here, I transplanted all the irises after blooming season (well, if you count one flower blooming season). At first, the leaves got a little limp, but once the roots seated, they recovered nicely. The next Spring they rewarded me with loads of blooms.

      Your mileage may vary, of course, but I've been handling irises for years, and watched my mom do it when I was younger. Good luck!

      Delete
  2. Thanks, Beth! I'm going to try it this fall.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to find a good place to transplant all my irises. I only get a few blooms a year from probably fifty plants/bulbs scattered throughout my yard.

    I'm still all "meh" about writing. I have deadlines threatening, including one that got moved from October to August. *flail*

    I'm going to piddle this morning and then, once the Cardinals game comes on, I'll work on writing. *nods* No. Really. Stop laughing. *wanders off to get more coffee*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If your irises aren't blooming, it's probably one of two things - they're not getting enough sun OR (and this is the most common reason) the bulbs are too deep. They actually shouldn't be buried much at all.

      Oh, I'm still meh, but the ass kicking totally helped this time. Want me to come kick your ass, too? ;o)

      I'm not laughing. You will work. Cuz if I have to drive the umpteen hours thru city traffic and the wilds of OK to kick your ass, it's gonna be way worse for you.

      And now I'm laughing because you know I would never.

      Delete
  4. Yay for keeping the editing at the top of the list! Not fun, I know, but you're so close to done. And then you can play in the bathroom, the garden, and all the other stuff you can't wait to do. I admire your willpower!

    I'm in week one of letting my fiction slide to the bottom of the list, and getting stuff done on patterns and nonfiction, since they sell. Not happy about it, but I'm stuck in 5C anyway. I think I need to delete the whole scene I just wrote.

    I hate deleting, and I love the scene. I'm thinking that adds up to: Off with its head!!!

    ReplyDelete