Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Cake Cookies

It's creeping up to that time again.  You know the time I mean... Cookie-Stravaganza!  Wherein Darling Daughter and I bake cookies until our eyes are bugging out. 

Anyway, sometime in the next two weeks, we'll be baking our brains out with Coconut Rum Cookies and Cream Cheese Cookies... and fudge... can't forget the fudge.  Anyway, we used to make every recipe totally from scratch, and that was fine.  Time consuming, but fine.  And while I still don't used store-bought cookie mix (Okay, I admit to the occasional use of those Pillsbury pre-cut cookies with x-mas trees designs), I did stumble across a recipe last year that cuts some of the time out.  I posted it on my old blog, but for those of you who weren't around back then, here it is again...

Cake Cookies

1 box cake mix (whichever one turns you on)
1/2 c vegetable oil
2 eggs
nuts, raisins, chocolate chips, candy bits... whatever works with whichever mix you pick

Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. In a medium bowl, mix all ingredients together until thoroughly combined. Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls onto ungreased baking sheet. Bake 8-10 minutes until firm and slightly browned around the edges. Remove from oven and transfer cookies to cool.


Super easy and super quick, so if between writing and shopping and wrapping and life, you're up to your ass in alligators, you can still do a reasonable cookie-stravaganza in half the time. 

If you can find the Caramel Cake Mix from Duncan Hines, I recommend using that one with Hersey's Toffee Bits and chopped walnuts.  Another favorite here is Devil's Food with Peanut Butter Chips.   This year I picked up butterscotch chips on sale, so I'm going to create something with those... maybe with Butter Pecan cake mix.  A gal I gave this recipe to last year used Betty Crocker Funfetti cake mix and Fruity Pebbles for a fun new cookie.  The point with these is to have fun and to save time.  And in this economy, you can also save money - especially if you find cake mix on sale.  =o)

Enjoy, and if you come up with any awesome combinations for your cookies, share in the comments.  I'm always open to trying new things.  =o)

2 comments:

  1. You know what's wrong with this recipe? I have all the ingredients. That's what's wrong!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm cookiesssss. I made butter tarts for Thanksgiving. Yummy.

    Perhaps I shall pester mum into baking with me this weekend =D

    I could bake here at school but honesty, I'd probably fall asleep and then I'd burn the apartment down and yeah. Not a good idea at the moment, LOL!

    ReplyDelete