Friday, July 31, 2009

Weekly Update

Last night I deleted 5000 words from my new WIP. Oh, the tragedy. They were good words, but they all related back to that little issue of the unopened box. They had to go or the story would suffer. Snippedy snip. Of course, while in the course of fixing this error, I did write a couple new scenes, so I'm actually only 3000 words down from the highest word total.

Still, 3000 words is 2-3 hours out of my life. :shrug: Stuff happens.

On the bright side, all the fixing is finished and I can now proceed with creating the story. I'm still finding all the right threads to weave the best pattern, but I still think this is going to be a good story. (Even if I read somewhere that paranormal is becoming passe with some editors. Don't get me wrong, it's still selling very well, but some editors are tired of it.)

Anyway, in keeping with my 'I write for myself' philosophy, I don't care. I'm going to write this book and I'll love it, even if no one else wants it. Not like that hasn't been the story of my writing career thus far. I'll keep trying. Not trying is the only way any of us really fails. Ya know what I mean, jellybean?

Other than the book fixing I've been doing, everything's been pretty SSDD (Same Stuff, Different Day). Darling Daughter is driving herself (and me) crazy waiting for news on the essay contest she entered in March. They were supposed to contact all the entrants by July 27th, but we haven't heard anything yet. If I don't hear from them by Monday, I'll be shooting off a polite WTF email. (And yes, we did get confirmation that her entry was received, so they can't claim they never got it.)

How're things in your little corner of the world?

3 comments:

  1. I'm being a slacker today writing-wise and getting a massage. After I get my grocery shopping done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, sorry about needing to snip things out. I've had to do that and it's hard.

    And good job writing for you! Editors may be getting tired of paranormals, but if its an amazing one they'll still jump at the chance to buy it.

    I have to clean today. It's Heritage Days in my town and so we are having a BBQ tomorrow... which means I get to clean the whole house AND the backyard. Wooo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's so hard to cut your words especially when they seem so righteous. As I'm sure they were! And, everything is passe until someone else does it right.

    ReplyDelete