Friday, July 17, 2009

Weekly Update

Busy day here at the Sanderson household. Another bout with torrential rain. I thought this was supposed to be the high desert. Hmphf.

Anyway, since last Friday, I made some significant headway on this untitled paranormal thing I'm writing. With the just over 7700 words I wrote this week, I'm up to 14K - or 17% of the finished product. I expect this will first draft out at around 60-65K with a final word count around 80K.

Other than that, I haven't really done much else writing-wise. I spent a large amount of time thinking about this book. I know exactly who the MC is and what motivates her. I know her background and her history. There are still some things I have to research about the decade she grew up in, but since the book takes place in the present, it's background. I'm not sure how much of that is going to make the final cut.

Writing this book is immensely fun, though. The paranormal angle is sparking my synapses to no end. It's neat to create a new mythology for a known supernatural being, and figure out how they fit into this world. I think this has a great premise and based on everything I've read in paranormal, I think I've got a fresh take. We'll see what comes out between now and when I start submissions. Keep your fingers crossed for me.

On the homefront, I've been playing poker. It helps me turn the writer part of my brain off so things can gel. I also spent some time this week discussing career decisions with my almost adult daughter. Soon she'll be hitting the big one-six, and now's the time to think about what she wants out of her life. I'm feeling good about her prospects, and while she's no longer considering a degree in Chemistry, she's got a good head on her shoulders. She's shifted to thinking about a degree in management. (Personally I think she'd make an awesome lawyer, but if I mention that to her one more time, she'll explode. I'm hoping if I let her find the law on her own, she'll find out she loves it.)

Anyway, that's my life in a nutshell. How are things with you?

No comments:

Post a Comment