Sunday, June 14, 2009

Sunday Book Review

So many books, so little space to review... Seriously. As much as I've been reading lately, I could devote every day of the week to reviews. But this is a writing blog. (Okay, not so much writing lately, but you get the point.)

Anyway. It was hard to choose this week's book from all my recent reads. In the end, I basically threw a dart and came up with:

Blood Magic by Jennifer Lyon

Now, you may be more familiar with Ms. Lyon as Jen Apodaca - the name she wrote mysteries under - but no matter who you know her as, she's got talent and it shows more than ever in her last release - Blood Magic.

I'm a few months behind the times with this review. Blood Magic came out in February, but with my infrequent trips to the big stores, I had to wait. If I'd known the book was going to be this awesome, I would've been a lot quicker.

Witch hunters have come for Darcy MacAlister. That alone would be enough of a problem, especially since she never knew she was a witch, but when the one who kidnaps her also makes her yearn for some lovin', being hunted is the least of her worries. She's got to save a little girl from a death curse using a spell she doesn't know, while keeping her sanity and her heart from breaking into a million little pieces.

Axel Locke needs the little witch to help his baby sister, but thanks to a spell cast thirty years before, he and the other Wing Slayer Hunters can't be around witches without wanting to spill their blood. Torn between the spell and his own oath to never kill the good witches, he has to choose whether he will lose his family or lose his soul. He never thought there'd be another choice - losing his heart.

This book is a definite break from Jen's work as Ms. Apodaca - and thus the reinvention of her persona. Her Samantha Shaw mysteries are light and fun and frisky. Her foray into paranormal romance is tense and sexy and thrilling. I can't wait for the next book to come out. (Soul Magic, btw. A look at what happens between Wing Slayer Hunter Sutton and witch Carla.)

If you're a fan of Gena Showalter's paranormals, I think you'll definitely enjoy Jennifer Lyon's Blood Magic. She and Gena share a similar style and tone. And if you're worried about more of the 'same ol same ol', don't be. Jen's writing may be similar, but she differentiates herself with her premise and her voice.

Check her out. You won't be disappointed.

2 comments:

  1. B.E., thank you for the lovely review of BLOOD MAGIC! What a way to start off my week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was a great book, so I had to review it. Thanks for stopping by the blog. That made my morning. =o)

    ReplyDelete