Monday, June 22, 2009

The Foggy Path

Just after sitting down to write a few minutes ago, a realization hit me. I have no idea where to go from here.

Since I don't plot (for the most part), my writing is more like wandering down an uncharted path in the fog. With no map and no compass, I've only got my instinct to guide me. Most of the time, they're a pretty safe guide and I can sense when the path is going to twist and turn. Sometimes the direction takes me completely by surprise.

And occasionally - like now - I find myself at what seems to be overgrown wilderness. In front of me is a tall hedge of brambles, and I can't see any way to move forward again. No way through is apparent on either side. I'm sure I'm on the right path, so going back isn't an option. It's like in the movie Labyrinth - sometimes the way through is right in front of me, but I can't see it.

I could just hack my way through, but that almost never works out to my advantage in the end.

So here I sit. I could be here for a while or the fog could lift suddenly at any time. Maybe I should build a campfire and work on the edits for Nano while I'm waiting.

Anyone got any marshmallows?

3 comments:

  1. I'm sorry to hear that you're stuck! I hate it when that happens. It always helps me if I sit there and just talk to someone about my story. Sometimes it is hard to get the conversation going, but once it does it always saves me from staring at the blank screen!
    Goodluck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to the Writing Spectacle, Natalie, and thanks. =o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely understand your frustration. I'm going through a bit of this myself. I find when I can't write, it's best I just sit down and read for a little bit. Your muse, your inspiration, your instincts, whatever you want to call it, will return.

    ReplyDelete