Saturday, May 19, 2018

Saturday Fishing Report - 5/19/18

Hello!  I know I haven't done one of these in a while.  It's been a slow fishing year for me so far.  And the rest of the year ain't lookin' all that great either.  I'll fish when I can and report when I think I have anything interesting to say.

I only went out once last week.  It was a cloudy afternoon when Hubs and I decided we both had cabin fever and needed to get the hell out of the house.  We went to the recently opened park and had the whole place to ourselves.  I decided to fish the cove by the boat ramp.  And I was getting a lot of hits. 

One interesting thing is that something kept taking my worm and not taking it down, per se, but moving it to one side before releasing it.  I'd heard about this behavior.  It's a fish removing annoyances from where it's bedding.  Supposedly, you have to be really on your game to catch a fish right then because they're technically not eating it. 

I was not on my game, but I did get a fish to finally hit it like normal and I reeled in a 13" smallmouth.  Then the bite dried up and the sun came out.

We moved west to follow the clouds and ended up at my go-to spot.  The sun came out there, too.  And I got fried because I was too lazy to put on sunscreen.  I also caught a 6" bluegill.  And learned where they get their names - because this one had strikingly brilliant blue lining its gills. So cool.  I'd never actually seen that before.  Gotta love spawning.

Hubs didn't catch anything, but it was his first time out this year, so just being at the lake was enough for him.  All in all it was a nice afternoon. 

If you get a chance, go outside sometime this week and enjoy whatever's left of Spring. 

No comments:

Post a Comment