Monday, May 28, 2018

Memorial Day

Today is Memorial Day here in the states.  I've been seeing a lot of talk this weekend about the meaning of Memorial Day that goes something like this:

Armed Forces Day is for active military.
Veteran's Day is for previous military.
Memorial Day is for service members who've passed on during active service.

And I get it.  Each group deserves their own day and never the twain shall meet.  Except...

My father didn't die during active service and I'm still going to remember him on Memorial Day.  I'm still going to thank my husband and my brothers for their service on this day.  Because what's the harm in it?  And don't all of our military - past and present - deserve to remembered and thanked 365 days of the year, not just any particular government-mandated day?

And I think don't think remembering them all today takes anything away from the men and women who lost their lives defending our country.  I'm remembering them, too.  Always.


Sooo....

Thank you to all members of the Armed Forces, past and present, and most especially to those who've given the ultimate in defense of their values and mine.  We have them to thank for our freedom.  And I, for one, am incredibly grateful.

2 comments: