Thursday, August 20, 2015

This n That Thursday

Yesterday evening as we were headed home from our walk, something jogged across the road about 30 yards in front of us. Since we were walking into the setting sun, it wasn't the easiest thing to see. Coyote?  Nope, ears weren't pointed, nose wasn't pointed. Although, it was about that size. Dog? Nope. Wrong gait. Local cat? Too big.  Plus, it had a short tail.  Yes, it was a bobcat.  Dusk is when they head out from their daytime snoozing spot for the evening's hunting.  We hope it was Mittens.  Or maybe Whiskers. 

I'm re-reading the first in a series I love - StarDoc by S.L. Viehl (you might know her better as PaperbackWriter).  When I went to Goodreads to put it in my 'Currently Reading', I noticed some one and two star reviews.  Maybe it's just me, but it always irks me to see low-star reviews on a book I love.  Were they even reading the same thing I was?  Anyway, this just goes to show that everyone has their own tastes.

I saw an article about a little girl with a robotic hand throwing out the first pitch at an Orioles game.  That little girl kicks ass.

Didn't win the lottery.  I guess I'll just have to keep writing and hoping someone somewhere will buy my books.

Speaking of which, the Mad Genius Club had a really awesome article called "When is an indie author doing well?"  I commented, of course.  Thinking about it now, I'll be satisfied if I can average 2 books a day per title. I was there until Wish came out, but it's early yet.  I'll probably do a sale and some advertising over Labor Day Weekend or something.

What's up with the this n that in your world?


6 comments:

  1. I'm tired today after staying up late last night to finish WIOH. Loved it! Stayed up late because I couldn't go to sleep without finding out how it ends. Have put the same review on Amazon UK & Goodreads. Tonight I'll be in bed early, although I'm now on book 8 of the Southern Sewing Circle books after reading your review of book 1. Loving them too but they're a bit more predictable than WIOH - at least in them I can usually guess the bad guy! Love Lynn Viehl too - Stardoc is an excellent choice. I always say the Stardoc series is the progeny of a marriage between Star Trek & ER - perfection.

    Oh and I finished off a quilt and handed it over. I'm a library volunteer, taking books/audio/dvds etc to people who have limited mobility and can't get to there themselves. The elderly lady I deliver to is suffering home renovations (she has an annex on her daughter's house) and doors being left open etc, so she was delighted to receive her snuggly warm, handmade quilt. I felt a great deal of pride which I hope isn't too great a sin under the circumstances.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so thrilled you enjoyed Wish in One Hand, Fran! Thank you so much for the awesome review. Yay for you finding the Southern Sewing Circle books! They're so much fun. And yes, Lynn's books are totally awesome. I'm working my way through the series because I never did read the middle few and I need to see how Cherijo gets from here to there.

      That's so nice of you! Your quilts are so pretty. She'll be warm and happy now. I wouldn't say pride is a sin when you've done your best and produced something worth being proud of. :hugs:

      Delete
  2. Checked out the article. Left a LONG comment. LOLOL It's being moderate.

    I remember driving back from Muskogee when Only was in college and we passed a big "cat" on the side of the interstate. It was a lynx and absolutely gorgeous. Bobcats normally stay out of sight so lucky y'all for catching a glimpse.

    Was cool this morning when I let the dogs out. NICE! I'm ready for fall. It's my favorite season. I can't complain too much. We've had what amounts to a mild summer for us.

    Had the characters in RDR#4 throw me a twist. Too bad it doesn't happen until chapter 4. May have to keep writing a little bit after I finish the 1st three for the proposal. Chase is a little despicable but in a sort of aw-shucks way. I hope. He will have much groveling and begging before he gets redemption from Savannah. LOLOL

    And now, off for more coffee then writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait 'til your comment is moderated, Silver.

      Yeah, we haven't seen a bobcat since 2013. Cool that you saw a lynx. People keep claiming there's a cougar around here, but I haven't seen it yet.

      Yay for cool weather! It's awesome right now. Made last night's walk really pleasant.

      Shame on those pesky characters! They sound awesome. Now go write so you can get other stuff out of the way and get to RDR#4.

      Delete
  3. re: reviews
    What irks me is that sometimes it's not a matter of taste, but that some people are just jerks. You can always tell by their reviews. It rarely has substance. Who knows if those reviewers are expressing sour grapes, bad moods, or gas.

    re: bobcat
    I saw one a few months ago. First ever. He slowly backed away as I got closer. Thankfully, he didn't want to tangle with me, which is good, because he definitely would've won.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmm, bobcats. We've definitely got those around here too. I'll have to check out that indie author article!

    ReplyDelete