Monday, March 3, 2014

Banana Nut Oatmeal Bread

Hey all!  Here's a new recipe I tried over the weekend.  It's great for when you have bananas laying around going brown.

Banana Nut Oatmeal Bread

1/2 cup margarine (softened)
1 cup white sugar
2 eggs
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup flour
1 cup old fashioned oats
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
3 large overly ripe bananas (mashed)
1/2 cup golden raisins
1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts (ice cream topping works best)

Preheat oven to 350F.  Thoroughly spritz one 9x5" loaf pan on all sides and bottom with cooking spray and set it aside.  Cream butter and sugar together.  In a small bowl, beat eggs together with vanilla.  Add to butter/sugar mixture and beat until light and fluffy.  Beat in mashed bananas until combined.  In a separate bowl, sift flour, oatmeal, baking soda, salt and cinnamon together.  Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients - alternating with the milk - until well combined.  Stir in raisins and nuts.  Pour into prepared pan.  Bake for 60-70 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.  Remove from oven and let cool for 5-10 minutes before turning out of pan to finish cooling.  Slice and serve.

If you're not keen on raisins or nuts, those are optional.

10 comments:

  1. Mmmm - could go for a slice of this right now, B.E.! The Husband makes awesome banana muffins and he adds a dash of pepper to the batter - yummy!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I could send you a piece, I would, Janet. Ya know, I never thought of adding pepper to something like that. Sounds interesting. =o)

      Delete
  2. Sounds good but it would mean I actually have to...you know...BUY bananas! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And this is why I don't buy bananas often, Silver. They go brown and then I make them into desserts. LOL

      Delete
  3. I'll have to wait until hubby is here since he's the only banana eater. I'll eat them in bread, but the actual fruit makes my lips itch.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. Some stores have over ripe bananas available, Deb. I used to get a whole bag of them for like .99 at our old store.

      Delete
  5. All of these recipes sound delicious, but I have one tiny request... Since you love taking pictures, why aren't you taking pictures of these recipes?!?! You must entice me with pictures of the delicious food! I demand pictures! Ra!

    Ahem. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't take pics because when I do, they never turn out looking yummy. I bake for flavor, not for looks. If I sent you a pic of this bread, Nat, you might not think it's so delicious looking. ;o)

      Delete