Monday, September 19, 2011

Worst Movies Ever Blogfest

Today I'm jumping on the bandwagon and doing a blogfest - because this one was just too good to pass up.  The inestimable Alex J. Cavanaugh (why have I not been following this blog all along?) has come up with the idea to do a Worst Movies Ever Blogfest .  Sounds like fun, don't it?

Of course, since I was stupid and not following Alex, I didn't hear about it there.  I heard about it from blogpal and awesome suspense writer, Jennifer Hillier

So here goes nothing...

10.  Leaving Las Vegas - I wish Nicholas Cage's character had died way earlier and just gotten it over with.  In fact, I would've cheered if Elizabeth Shue's character had held a pillow over his face.  But no, it just got more and more depressing with every passing second.  Sigh meaningfully one more time for me Nick and I'll kill you myself.

9. Pay It Forward - I started out really interested in this movie.  I thought it was going to be a happy movie about people doing kind things for other people.  And then they killed off the kid.  Ruined the whole movie for me.

8.  Old Yeller - nothing like scarring a child for life by making him fall in love with a big loveable dopey dog and then shooting it at the end.

7. Blacula - back when I was a kid and this came on the campy movie marathons around Halloween, I thought this was hilarious.  Now?  Not so much.

6. King Kong vs Godzilla - I'm a huge fan of the old Godzilla movies, but even I couldn't get past how bad this one was.  Could they have made King Kong look any more hokey?

5. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory - Johnny Depp as Willy Wonka is just creepy.  Was it just me or did his protrayal have pedophile written all over it?  :shudder:

4. Thir13en Ghosts - psycho uncle leaves his warped house to his nephew who just says 'hey, I need to get away from it all, so I'll move my whole family - including a nanny I can't afford, since I'm like broke and stuff - into this house built by an uncle I never liked'.  And then gross stuff happens.  (Although, I admit it's one of those movies that - like a horrible train wreck - I can't look away from.)

3. Night of the Living Dead - I know I'll take some heat for saying this, but this movie was so bad it went straight past 'so bad it's good' to 'so bad I want to poke my own eyes out rather than watch it again'.  Seriously people, when you see a zombie shambling across the countryside toward you?  Run.  And if you're the last survivor facing down a squad of trigger happy humans bent on killing you because they think you're a zombie, TALK TO THEM.  Don't just stand there and get gunned down.  Sheesh.  Talk about too stupid to live.

2. The Bride - Sting as Doctor Frankenstein?  Really?  Come on, people.  He did an awesome job as Fayd in the original Dune, but he failed here.  This movie was so bad even Sting's fame couldn't prop it up.

And tied for number one...

1. The Abyss and Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull - They both have the same problem, in my opinion.  They started out great as a kind of action/adventure/suspense things.  But aliens?  Really? It was like the writers couldn't think of anything else to do, so they threw in aliens. Bleh.

Please remember, folks, that these are my opinions only.  Don't hate me because I think these movies stink.

14 comments:

  1. I didn't think I'd ever meet someone else who hated Pay It Forward. I like my movies like my romances--a little HEA. And it killed me that the kid died. I couldn't like it anymore. If I wanted to see reality, I'll watch the news. I like to be uplifted at the movies. Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have seen every one of these movies...I felt bad for King Kong-he needed a better agent. I found Pay It Forward insufferable. I actually didn't mind Leaving las vegas but one wanted to slice ones wrists afterwards-quite depressing and as for Crystal Skull-ugh. Worst!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually really liked Kingdom of the Crystal Skulls, or whatever it was called. There is actually a legend of the Crystal Skulls that says aliens left them at various places around the world, so it was kinda accurate in staying true to the legend.

    I can never think of worst movies when I need to, but I'll go ahead and say Black Swan is probably in my top ten right now because I just saw it over the weekend and was completely disappointed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh! I haven't seen half of these movies! Thanks for the heads up! ;)


    ♥.•*¨Elizabeth¨*•.♥

    Can Alex save Winter from the darkness that hunts her?

    YA Paranormal Romance, Darkspell coming fall of 2011!

    ReplyDelete
  5. what great choices, sad i love them all...
    :)
    i love bad/worst movies, these lists are tough!
    jeremy
    twothumbseightfingers.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cool list, but just because a movie is depressing, does that make it a bad movie? Sometimes stories are depressing for a reason, aren't they?

    And The Abyss and Crystal Skull were flawed movies for more reasons than an alien plot.

    ReplyDelete
  7. King Kong did look really bad.
    Thanks for participating in the blogfest! Following you now as well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Night of the living dead was good, even if it was just a rip off of I am Legend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Haven't seen these movies. I hear Leaving Las Vegas was boring though.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You make me laugh!

    I love Leaving Las Vegas, but the movie is so frigging depressing that I can only watch it at certain times. So I get what you mean.

    Yeah, can't argue with Pay It Forward, either. I understand the point they were trying to make, but because of the ending, I will never watch it again.

    Johnny Depp was super creepy in Willy Wonka!

    ReplyDelete
  11. pay it forward - but I liked that one

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes, yes, you must follow Alex!! Though I'm the dummy because I didn't join in this blogfest :(

    I f-ing hate movies where they kill off the animal best friend. You just don't mess with animals. Oh, and Nicolas Cage is putrid in everything.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I didn't even make it through Leaving Las Vegas. I used to love Charlie & the Chocolate Factory despite Johnny Depp's creepy teeth. But now that you brought up the pedophile angle, I may not ever watch it again. I'm thinking you're right on that.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Totally agree with your #1. It was like, huh?

    Also, Leaving Las Vegas was so. Horribly. Depressing. They should have handed out Zoloft after the movie was over.

    ReplyDelete