Monday, October 12, 2009

That's Commitment

Yesterday during the Yankees/Twins baseball game - the final game of the ALDS - one of the Twins players showed incredible commitment to the game and to his team.

Left fielder Delmon Young stepped up to the plate and promptly fouled a ball off the ground into his own... twig and berries, so to speak. I swear thousands of men around the world groaned in sympathy. Hell, I don't have that kind of equipment and I still felt sympathy pains. (Personally, I don't get where groin pain is a laughing matter, but that's for another day.) Thank goodness he was wearing a cup. Ugh.

Anyway, after a few minutes on the ground, and another few gingerly walking around, Young once again stepped up to the plate. If it'd been me, I'd have taken the opportunity to sit somewhere with a bag of ice. Not Delmon Young. He shook off the pain, got ready to do his job again, and WHAM! The first pitch after his unfortunate foul ended up sailing to the outfield.

What does Young do? He runs like hell, with his bits surely in pain, and ends up with a double. It was an awesome thing to watch. I mean, I'm a die-hard Yankee fan, but I still can admire the fortitude it took for Young to do what he did.

Of course, the Twins still lost, but not because of Young. Because he had commitment few people in the world are willing to show for their work, or anything else these days. He showed the kind of commitment that keeps writers at keyboards long after their asses are numb and their hands are killing them. The same commitment that keeps writers sending out queries long after their hearts have been stomped on by rejection after rejection.

Because when the world kicks you in the tender places, you have two choices. You can sit the next few pitches out, or you can get back in there. Your level of commitment is shown by which choice you make.

2 comments:

  1. I love your analogy! I suppose i'd run as well, but then again I've never had that kind of pain. ;)

    ReplyDelete