Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Meatball Soup

I adapted this from a recipe I saw on Mystery Lovers' Kitchen over the weekend.  Mine doesn't follow that recipe, though.  Really I just ran with the idea of using pre-made frozen meatballs to make soup.

20-25 frozen meatballs
1/2 can whole kernel corn
3 whole carrots
3 large potatoes
1 package onion soup mix
2 beef bouillon cubes
1/2 T parsley
1-2 bay leaves 
salt & pepper to taste

In a 5 qt dutch oven type pan, dump package of onion soup mix.  Fill pan 2/3 full of water.  Bring to a boil.  Add in bouillon cubes.  Add in parsley and bay leaves.  Gently add in meatballs.  Boil until meatballs are tender.  Dice carrots.  Add in and boil another ten minutes.  Slice or dice potatoes into whatever size you like.  Boil ten minutes.  Add in corn.  Season with salt and pepper to taste.  Continue boiling until potatoes and carrots are tender.  Serve with crackers.

It made a nice lunch today and plenty of leftovers.  You can certainly change up the seasonings to make it however you want.  I might've thrown in some celery seed, but I don't remember now.  And you can add other veggies like peas or beans or canned tomatoes, if you like.  I just used what I had available and basically I keep adding and tasting until I have the flavor I want. 

PS.  Your boiling time may vary.  I don't mind if my potatoes and carrots are a little mushy.  With yours, keep checking the tenderness of the carrots and potatoes until they reach the texture you like best.

4 comments:

  1. I never thought to make meatball soup. I'm going to file this away in my recipe folder.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I said to myself, Maria. You're very welcome. I hope you enjoy it. =o)

      Delete
  2. This sounds like beef stew only with meatballs. I might have to try this once Lawyer Guy gets out of the hospital.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, Silver, or vegetable soup - depending on how thick you want it. You'll have to let me know how it goes if you give it a whirl. =o)

      Delete