Monday, October 28, 2013

Organizing Zoe

Zoe is a mess.  She can't keep my books straight to save herself, poor darling.  But I spent some time this weekend trying to sort her out.

Ummm, yeah, Zoe is my Kindle.

I love her.  I really do.  But she's the kind of Kindle that just shows me the title and the author name.  (Or do all Kindles do that and none of them give more info up front?  If so, that's something they need to fix on subsequent models.)  Problem is, I can't remember what a book's about by just reading the title.  And I'm the kind of person who might want Romantic Suspense one day and Dystopian the next.

So, first thing I did was take all the books I already read and sort them.  The keepers went into a new folder called 'Read'.  The others got deleted. 

Next, I sat down with a notepad and wrote down every single title Zoe is currently holding for me to read.  Title and Author.  In the left margin, I noted which genre the book was - if I could figure it out... which was rare.  This morning, I opened up my Amazon and started trying to determine what everything else was. 

Lemme tell ya, even then figuring out genre wasn't all that easy sometimes.  (And now I know why agents insist on having a definite genre in the query.  Bleh.)  But that's a story for another day.

I only got about a third of the way through this morning because my browser and Amazon weren't getting along, but I'm making progress.  And I picked out which 'book' to read next... which is actually six books thrown together into one package called 'Dark Nights Dangerous Men'.  That should keep me busy until later this week when I add a few more choice novels to little Zoe's stash.

Next I might arrange Zoe into folders so I can snag just the genre I want to read when I want to read it, but that might be a little anal for me.  We'll see how it goes.

What about you?  Do you organize your books by genre - cuz even my hardcopy books are kinda in genre order?  Or am I just being little Obsessive Olivia?

2 comments:

  1. My paper copies are grouped by author, in order if a series, and then sort of grouped by genre. Fyrefly is a hot mess. No pun intended. The next time I need to procrastinate, maybe I'll work on getting the Fire in order. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a hard time organizing my files on my computer! My books and CDs are randomly grouped! I have scraps of paper lying around with book titles I want to read! Perhaps when you're done, you could come this way to help?

    I don't think I'd like it if I didn't know what the book was at a glance - have yet to buy an e-book reader, so that's something I will need to remember when I do splurge! Good luck, B.E.!!

    ReplyDelete