Sunday, June 5, 2011

Review: The First Victim by JB Lynn

The First Victim by JB Lynn.   Romantic Suspense, published by Carina Press - Release date: June 13, 2011. 

If you've read reviews here before, you know I don't go over the details of the novel.  If you're interested, follow the link to JB's page or to Carina Press or to Amazon.  Those people all do a better job of summarizing novels than I do.  All I can give you is my impressions of the book.  

When JB Lynn asked her blog readers for people who'd be willing to read and review her upcoming novel The First Victim, I'll admit to being a little hesitant.  Not that I didn't think I'd love the book, but because right now, it's only available on Kindle (or so I thought).  For me, that brought up some niggles.  First off, I don't have a Kindle, don't have the Kindle software on my PC, and I'm not going to be buying a Kindle any time soon.  Second, I've never read an e-book.  Oh sure, I've read books electronically - my own, my former crit partner's, other people who wanted me to beta read - but never a book for pleasure and certainly not one I would be reading with the idea of later writing a review.

Would I be able to read a book and be objective about the story when I couldn't hold the book in my hands? 

It was a little weird at first, but once I got the hang of it, it wasn't that different.  My worst problem was when I got to the delicious parts, I wanted to curl up on the couch and really lose myself.  Sitting here isn't really conducive to curling up - not without some major acrobatics and the flexibility of a Russian gymnast.

Still, that was the worst thing I could say about the book - and it wasn't even about the story.  In fact, if the book hadn't been so damn good, I never would've felt the need to curl up with it.  The suspense is edge of the seat good.  The romance fits perfectly.  The characterization made me want to spend time with those people and root for them.

I do have to admit the glimpses inside the villain's head made me kinda squirmy, but hey, that's what a writer is supposed to do.  Good writers make you uncomfortable sometimes.  And when a villain is that creepy, it makes it all the more satisfying when he gets what he deserves.

So, if you enjoy Romantic Suspense with the flavor of Allison Brennan and Roxanne St. Claire, get thyself over to Amazon or Carina and download a copy.  At around $4, you really can't go wrong and if it ever makes it to hard copy, it'll be worth the standard $7.99. 

And for the standard disclaimer the government demands...  JB gave me this book as a thank you because I've been - her words - "such a wonderful supporter".  She didn't have to do that, and I really appreciate it.  She also told me that if I wanted to, I could write a review.  In no way was the gift of the book a bribe to write a good review.  I don't work that way and neither does she.  (Most writers and readers don't, you suspicious governmental goons.)  If I didn't like the book, she couldn't have paid me enough to say good things about it.  I wrote a good review because I genuinely liked the book and I genuinely like JB.  If liking the book and the writer make me subjective, so be it.  You, the review reader, are forewarned.

No comments:

Post a Comment