Sunday, March 22, 2009

Sunday Book Review

I'm hoping to make this a weekly event. I'll review one book (or series) every Sunday, or if not me, I'm hoping to talk my daughter into writing some reviews herself - for a change of pace.

A few weeks ago, I stumbled across a recommendation for Anton Strout's novels. Since his work sounded similar to The Dresden Files, I thought I would give him a whirl. In the end, I'm glad I did.

The reason I say it that way is because when entering his first novel - Dead to Me - I wasn't too keen on some of his writing quirks. But I ventured on. The premise of a former-thief turned governmental paranormal investigator tickled my imagination. I wanted to like the book, and after a few more pages, I was pulled beyond those quirks into the story I'd hoped it would be.

Simon Canderous is a gifted (or cursed, depending on how you look at it) with psychometry - which basically means any object he touches sets off a stream of images from the past. It's killing his love life. It's screwing up his chances for friendship. But the upside is, it got him a job with the DEA... and I'm not talking Drug Enforcement, either. It's the Department for Extraordinary Affairs, and they're the only ones stopping all the beasties of evil from running rampant through the streets of New York.

First off, I'm a sucker for paranormal. I'm also a sucker for mysteries and for NYC. So, it was natural for me to be drawn to this series. Once I got past the beginning of the first book, I was enthralled by the writer's sense of humor, his descriptive powers, and his flair for the unusual. So much so, that I finished Dead to Me, and immediately inhaled its sequel - Deader Still.

I'm genuinely glad I slapped down my $16+tax for these two. I'm even gladder that I took the time to search for book one - because I bought book two at Borders and they were out of the first book. (Thank goodness for Hastings.)

So, if you're a fan of paranormal with a twist of mystery and humor, please give Anton Strout's books a try. You won't be disappointed. (At least I hope not. If you are, please don't come back and throw things at me.)

Congratulations on a wonderful new series, Mr. Strout. Keep 'em coming.

...now if I could just remember who recommended him to me... :grumble: stupid brain...

Whoever you are, thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment